We have received 16 letters while corresponding with Japhet, one project director's letter, one pastor's letter, and one country director's letter. His birthday is February 26. Japhet lives with his mom and one sibling, but he has 6 siblings total! His mother is a farmer. Here's a photo he sent of his family:
Project Info and Activities:
Japhet attends KE-388 in Duruma, Mombasa
* Home to approximately 2,500 residents
* Primary ethnic group is Mijikenda
* Most commonly spoken language is Kiduruma
* Most common work is work is day laboring, but the majority are unemployed
* Average earning is $24 a month
* Regional Diet: maize, beans, fish & cassava
* Common Health Problems: malaria, typhoid
* Typical Houses: dirt floors, mud walls, thatched roofs
Center activities: Bible teaching, nutritious food, counseling, school fees and clothing.
Miscellaneous Info from Letters:
* Favorites: group games, soccer/football, netball, fishing, pet rabbit, Proverbs 1:10, social studies
* Dreams: to be a doctor, to serve the nation with all his strength, to be first in his class
Letter Highlights...
"At home I have planted a lot of trees. I have a rabbit at home. I love it so much."
"When I grow up I would like to be a doctor. Please pray for me to make my dream come true. I will serve all the nation with all my strength."
"I thank you for the tips which you send to me. They really helped me in my studies. I thank God that I am now good in mathematics."
"My family eager to hear from you and your family members. They are impatient as a lover to hear and see you all."
"I do like attending conferences at church. I remember that I attended one conference and its theme was about humility. What is humility? Humility is the act of lowering ones-self in relation with others."
"In Kenya, during someone's birthday the songs are just the same you do sing. Birthdays in Kenya are important for they mark someone's new life in the community both in traditional and in Christianity."
"Pass my greetings to Juanito, Rosie and little Jose, telling them that I love them and that I will keep on praying for them."
"I tried to play the Hatian game and it was full of fun. I really enjoyed playing the game with my friends."
"During the olympic games, I really enjoyed watching soccer and wrestling. My favorite Kenyan athlete is Julius Yego. I really like the way he compete with the other athletes. I also wish to grow strong as the way Julius Yego is."
"I am glad to hear that Juanito turned 5 and Rosie turned 3. Hope they had a nice time while celebrating their birthday. I will keep on praying for them so that God can give them a long life full of joy and blessings. I am glad to hear that you will be welcoming a new member in your family. May God be with you during the arrival of the little boy."
"I accepted Christ as my Savior when I was only six years old, this is when I started going for Sunday School, where I came to know about Jesus Christ. From the time I accepted Jesus Christ my life changed completely since I stopped bullying other kids as I used to do in my earlier life."
"At the project am doing good and we will be having a leadership camp at U over the December holiday. Last holiday I participated in talent show at the project and I performed a narrative to my fellow who said that I am good in narrating and that is the special gift God has given me."
"Remember that Our Heavenly Father is there to help and guide you by giving you wisdom and understanding. He is always there with us."
Artwork
Gifts
Our sweet friend Shelley brought a gift to Japhet when she visited Kenya! In return, Japhet said, "I think you for the gift which you sent to me that included a pencil case, rubber, T-shirt and the chewing gums. I expect to hear form you anytime."
To read the other posts in this series, click here.




