Thursday, June 23, 2016

Phalam in Kenya

We began corresponding with Phalam in January 2015. I will continue to update this post as we hear from Phalam.


We have received 14 letters and one country director's letter while corresponding with Phalam. His birthday is July 29. Phalam lives with his father and mother, Marko and Julia. His father is a farmer and his mother sells in the market. Phalam has 7 siblings, Dalon, Adan, Benjamin, Patricia, Nasieku, Bilali, and Gilbert!

~~~

Project Info and Activities:

Phalam attends KE-667 in Sirata Oirobi, Nairobi
* Home to approximately 30,000 residents
* Most commonly spoken language is Kisamburu
* Primary ethnic group is Samburu
* Most common work is work is laboring, but the majority are unemployed
* Average earning is $20 a month
* Regional Diet: maize & beans
* Common Health Problems: malaria, typhoid, tuberculosis
* Typical Houses: earthen floors, mud walls, tin roofs

Center activities: Bible teaching, vaccinations, medical checkups, nutrition education, recreational activities and academic support.

~~~

Miscellaneous Info from Letters:

* Favorites: group games, soccer/football, “Jesus is Reigning in My Life,” chapati & rice, math, Christian religious education, stories of Jacob, black

~~~

Letter Highlights...
"He also says he loves lessons at the development centre where he says he learns more of spiritual lessons."

"Phalam says that the best game he likes playing with his friends is soccer. He likes it so much."

"I usually take time and read the Word of God. I also go to church every Sunday and praise God for being my Creator. Praising God is a good act that is the way. Think I can also give it a try Psalms 139:4, 'I will praise you for I am wonderfully and fearfully made.'"

"In academic I am doing well, I am now in Standard Eight. I am good in science, mathematics, also in Kiswahili."

~~~

Artwork


~~~

Extra Photos

Phalam sent these photos of his family and home in 2015! It is so neat to see a "tour" of his home and see his family and pet dog!


~~~

To read the other posts in this series, click here.