We have received 18 letters while corresponding with Selam, one project director's letter, one pastor's letter, and one country director's letter. Her birthday is February 7. Selam lives with her grandmother and her sister. Her grandmother cleans peanuts.
Project Info and Activities:
Selam attends ET-270 in Harar
* Home to approximately 120,000 residents
* Primary ethnic group is Harar
* Most commonly spoken language is Harai
* Most common work is work is petty trading
* Average earning is $10 a month
* Regional Diet: maize, beans, bread and potatoes
* Common Health Problems: malaria, tuberculosis, diarrhea, pneumonia, waterborne disease, HIV/AIDS
* Typical Houses: dirt floors, mud walls, tin roofs
Center activities: Bible teaching, health and hygiene education, clothing, nutritious food, recreational activities, educational classes, counseling, and project involvement for the parents and guardians.
Miscellaneous Info from Letters:
* Favorites: volleyball, running, reading, playing with friends, biology, hyena, orange, gishta
* Dreams: to be a doctor
Letter Highlights...
"I have received your letter. Thank you. The letter has helped me to know about God and about Spain's traditional game. I play the game with my friends in our extra time. I hope you will send me another traditional game."
"I am sociable. I am a 1st child in my family. My family are good people."
"I love "Sagno Maksagno" game. But who told you about it? How did you know the game? Is it played in your country?"
"I want to know more about Hyena. Our province's hyena is social with people. I want to know more."
"I want to be a doctor because I want to treat patients like Eric."
"I think I am tackling well with the questions (tests) you gave me."
"Dire Dawa is known for its hot temperature and sweet snacks. One of the recreation place found in the town is called Papa. There is a swimming pool, play ground, and sweet things to eat in this place. I am hoping that I will have a good time with my friends in this town."
"I have learned in history about popular people in German, such as Martin Luther King and Albert Einstein."
"How much do you know about Ethiopian culture?"
"We're going to celebrate a holiday called "Buhee." It celebrates in August 13 in Ethiopian calendar. This holiday is about in remembering Jesus's clothes changed to white and bright while he was with his disciples on mount. Read Matthew 17:5."
"I give thanks to God you have got your third child. I love you."
"I hope Juanito is following his education properly. Give my greetings for Roz and the new baby. Think of me in your prayer and I will also pray for you. I love you."
"I celebrated Easter colorfully with my friends, family, & neighbors. To celebrate this holiday, the church will fast for 55 days. The last week will be in remembrance of Jesus' suffering."
"I like Panda too--not by seeing but by the movie called Kung Fu Panda."
"In our country, we learn subjects either in Amharic or in English. I am learning in both languages but students who are in lower class, in elementary and high school, also learn in Oromo and Hadare languages. Ethiopian teaching system varies from regions to regions. Though main languages are Amharic and English, but there are also different kinds of languages according to regions that are given. Amharic is one school subject. Two months has passed since we started school and school is going nicely. Though it seems hard, I am studying and it is not that much bad. My favorite subject is Biology and I think I will study a field related with Biology in the future."
"I enjoy the stories and get to know animals from your letters. But the one thing I enjoy the most about your letters is the biblical stories and messages. I was also happy to know how Eric received Christ as his Savior. I am an Orthodox Christian and I got baptized when I was baby. It is a religion doctrine that a boy will be baptized in 40 days after being born while after 80 days for girls. Growing up, I learn about the word of God in our Church. In the Compassion project, we always learn about the word of God. It is my hope that you would one day visit Ethiopia and I will get to see you. I hope to hear from you soon."
"I had a great and enjoyable Christmas with my family. We celebrated it by remembering the coming of Jesus to the earth and worshiping the Lord in our church. I am sure you too had a great Christmas and new year celebration. And we are preparing to celebrate Epiphany soon. A lot of tourists will come to Ethiopia to attend this festivity. I wish you also come and visit this precious festival."
To read the other posts in this series, click here.
