Thursday, September 8, 2016

Abel in Peru

We began corresponding with Abel in July 2014. I will continue to update this post as we hear from Abel.


We have received 17 letters, one project director's letter, one one pastor's letter, and one country director's letter while corresponding with Abel. His birthday is October 14. Phalan lives with his father and mother, Victor and Maria. His father is a farmer and Abel has one brother, Jairo.

~~~

Project Info and Activities:

Abel attends PE-552 in Pachachupan Town, Huánuco
* Home to approximately 26,300 residents
* Most commonly spoken language is Spanish
* Most common work is work is subsistence farming
* Average earning is $56 a month
* Regional Diet: maize, beans, chicken, beef & potatoes
* Common Health Problems: tuberculosis, malnutrition, anemia, pneumonia, parasites
* Typical Houses: dirt floors, mud walls, tin roofs

Center activities: Bible teaching, medical checkups, games, hygiene and health education, birthday celebrations, tutoring, homework help and academic reinforcement.

~~~

Miscellaneous Info from Letters:

* Favorites: cars, art/drawing, drawing & painting class, communication, art, spring season, making beds, science, praying and field trips (at the project), playing with marbles, learning about the life of Jesus, washing plates, going to the countryside with his family, nature science

* Dreams: become a police officer

~~~

Letter Highlights...
"He is happy because Christmas is getting close during which he gets to eat fruitcake."

"He really likes all the stories you sent and he's very happy to meet Juanito and Rosie."

"I have a folder with all your pretty letters. I thank you for your gifts."

"I thank you for the cards that you sent, I like them and thanks for writing to me. Sponsor, I want to tell you that I like coming to the Student Center to learn the Word of God and to play with my friends."

"I want to tell you that my favorite subject is nature science and for that reason I like to study nature. Do you like the nature?"

"Let me tell you that I attend the project and my favorite subject is Math. How many kids do you have? What is your mother's name?"

"I play with my parents, my hula hoop, teddy and my marbles... I play soccer with my friends at the Acomayo Beach and play with marbles."

"Sponsor, I want to apologize because I don't remember the commandments, but I obey my parents... My tutor talked to me about Adam and Eve and that they disobey God. Every bad thing is bad to God."

"Thank God I am fine, one day I stopped to stare at the sky and it was beautiful! At school I am doing well, my favorite subject is Math."

~~~

Artwork


~~~

Gifts & Visits

We were able to send Abel a gift in 2015 of washcloth and soap, toothbrush, matchbox cars, gloves, socks, crayons, card game, and bouncy ball!

And in 2016, he received a gift from his financial sponsor and was able to buy clothes and toys.

In 2017, his sponsor sent gift money and Abel was able to buy a pair of pants and a shirt:

~~~

Extra Photos

Peru has a sponsor week every year and sent us a cute card in 2016 with a photo of Abel!

~~~

To read the other posts in this series, click here.