We received 10 letters, one pastor's letter, and one country director's letter while corresponding with Mariana. Her birthday is January 22. Mariana lives with her parents and his father works as a bricklayer.
Project Info and Activities:
Mariana attends BR-309 in Siqueira-2, Fortaleza
* Home to approximately 12,000 residents
* Primary language is Portuguese
* Most common work is work is street vending or domestic services, although the majority is unemployed
* Average earning is $236 a month
* Regional Diet: beans, chicken, bread, eggs, potatoes & rice
* Common Health Problems: worm infestations, skin diseases, flu
* Typical Houses: cement floors, brick walls, tile roofs
Center activities: Bible teaching, medical care, recreational activities, pre-school classes, primary education and academic support.
Miscellaneous Info from Letters:
* Favorites: dolls, bicycling, play house, walking, hide-and-seek, running, reading, art/drawing, jump rope, singing, listening to music, other ball games
Letter Highlights...
"Thanks for the prayers, affection. You are God's present to bless me."
"It is interesting there's a culture so different from mine. The beans sack game you mentioned is so cool. It must be so fun. I love fast games."
"It's a pleasure for me to write to you again, for you are so special in my life. Every day I think God for you both who help me even living so distant from me."
"I wish I could hold [José]. He must be very smart! He is cute!"
"I enjoyed very much the way that you spoke through the letter about friendship. I have a friend that I like her so much and we always have fun together."
"I enjoyed getting your letter talking about the pandas. I like to watch the Kung Fu Panda movies, they are very nice."
"I'm very happy because I turned 15 in January, and my mother had a surprise birthday together with my family. I liked it a lot."
"I loved your letters. Thanks a lot of your huge affection. We don't have snow here, but it must be so cool. The snow flakes are beautiful."
"Sometimes I think about being a nurse or a teacher. I don't know yet, but I hope to be a good professional."
"At school I am learning English and also Spanish. I enjoy both of them but Spanish seems easier... Send a huge hug for the kids."
"Thank you for loving me! That photo of the whales, made from origami, was very beautiful! I'll also try to make one for me. I don't attend any church ministry. I sometimes go to church with my aunt and I also sometimes attend Sunday School and I stay in a youth room. That's so great! Once more I thank you for everything!"
To read the other posts in this series, click here.
