Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Navodya in Sri Lanka

We began corresponding with Navodya in September 2016. I will continue to update this post as we hear from her.


We have received 5 letters and one pastor's letter and one country director's letter. Her birthday is July 11. Navodya lives with her parents, and her father is a day laborer.

~~~

Project Info and Activities:

Navodya attends LK-405 in Dummalasooriya
* Home to approximately 3,000 residents
* Primary language is Sinhala
* Most common work is day laboring
* Average earning is $105 a month
* Regional Diet: rice
* Common Health Problems: fevers, asthma
* Typical Houses: cement floors, brick walls, tile roofs

Center Activities: Bible teaching, music classes, nutritious food, health education, hygiene supplies, sports clubs, personality development courses, skills development, counseling programs and talent development.

~~~

Miscellaneous Info from Letters:

* Favorites: dolls, bicycling, baseball, singing

~~~

Letter Highlights...

"Thank you for sending my photography along with your letter. I was so happy for this...I too love Jesus."

"I got the letters you sent. Thank you for it. I got to know a lot of things about you. I am happy. In my family, there's my mother, father and elder brother. My mother is Kumani, father is Thushara, my elder brother is Rukshan. I have two pet animals, pigeon and a dog. I like to have pet baby squirrels. Squirrels have nice fur tails. Squirrel says ting ting."

"One thing I do really well is helping my mother. One thing I really like to do is to study."


~~~

Artwork


~~~

Extras

In February 2018, we received original artwork from Navodya! It did not come with a letter, but it is beautiful with handmade paper flowers and ribbon borders and a glued paper heart!


~~~

To read the other posts in this series, click here.