Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Jefry in Dominican Republic

We have been Jefry's correspondents since February 2015. I will continue to update this post as we hear from him.


We received 14 letters while corresponding with Jefry, one project director's letter, one pastor's letter, and one country director's letter. His birthday is September 29. Jefry lives with his parents and one sibling. His dad works as a laborer and his mom is a housekeeper.

~~~

Project Info and Activities:

Jefry attends DR-436 in Barrio Capotillo, Santo Domingo

* Home to approximately 3,700 residents
* Most commonly spoken language is Spanish
* Most common work is work is street vending
* Average earning is $90 a month
* Regional Diet: bread, plantains, rice
* Common Health Problems: parasites, malnutrition, skin diseases
* Typical Houses: cement, corrugated iron roofs

Center activities: Bible teaching, recreational activities, vaccinations, dental care, birthday parties, painting classes, field trips, and literacy classes and vocational training for parents and guardians.

~~~

Miscellaneous Info from Letters:

* Favorites: basketball, running, other ball games, La Plaquita, Spanish, NBA team Cleveland Cavaliers

~~~

Letter Highlights...
"I want you to know I pray for your family. I hope you do the same for me."

"I want to tell you that I pray a lot for you. I want you to pray a lot for my family and for my house since they are building it but haven't finished yet."

"I send you kisses and hugs for your pretty babies Jose and Rosie and Juanito."

"My favorite sport is the ball, what is yours?"

"I'm helping my grandfather in a business in which he sells underwear, and I help take care of the customers...It was me who told him I would help him when I was free from school."

"I play basketball. I like ride motorbike and going to the beach to share with my friends."

"I ask for your prayers for my family and my studies...I'm glad to have you as my friends...someday I would like to meet you personally. Basketball continue to be my passion...I practice at the Center...in my neighborhood there is a basket run on the street and we play a lot with my friends."

"I want you to know that there is a river near my place and sometimes I swim there. Sometimes I pray for you so that God continue to bless you. I would like that you pray for my studies and my house and my family."

~~~

Artwork


~~~

Recipes

I like to eat rice, meat and beans. I can see that my mom adds cooking oil and she adds a little bit of salt when is hot, she adds a little bit of water depending on the rice, then, when the water boils she puts the rice, she leaves it dry, then she lowers the fire and covers it well, turns it on and adds oil, the beans; after they soften, she adds seasoning, vegetables, garlic, soup, sweet pepper and the meat puts it to season and then to the fire.

~~~

Gifts

We were able to send Jefry a utility tool! We did not receive a photo from that gift, but his financial sponsor also sent him a gift and we received this fun photo in return:


~~~

To read the other posts in this series, click here.

2 comments:

  1. What a cutie! I love seeing them grow through their pictures and letters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I love seeing them grow too!! The teen guys and little ones change so quickly from photo update to photo update.

      Delete