Thursday, June 30, 2016

Valeria in Colombia

We began sponsoring Valeria in October 2011 and I will continue to update this post as we hear from Valeria.


We have received 36 letters while corresponding with Valeria, one project director's letter, one pastor's letter, and one country director's letter. Her birthday is December 20. Valeria lives with her parents, Edgar and Luz, and a little brother Jacob. Her father works as a machine operator.

~~~

Project Info and Activities:

Valeria attends CO-144 in Medellin
* Home to approximately 380,000 residents
* Most commonly spoken language is Spanish
* Most common work is work is day laboring
* Average earning is $312 a month
* Regional Diet: maize, beans, chicken, plantains & rice
* Common Health Problems: viruses, skin infections, malnutrition, diarrhea, intestinal problems
* Typical Houses: cement floors, brick walls, tile roofs

Center Activities: Bible teaching, medical and dental checkups, nutrition education, sports, special celebrations, academic support and educational field trips.

~~~

Miscellaneous Info from Letters:

* Favorites: group games, running, art/drawing, biking, swimming, spaghetti, dog, green, fuchsia & purple, geometry, basketball, watching tv, parakeet or parrot, jumping, the Colombia National team, sunflower, Luke 6:43, the stories of Jesus’ miracles, “Cristo no esta Muerto”, eating fish, swimming, “Minnie Mouse” cartoon, “Hansel & Gretel” movie, eating ice-cream, art, Samson, rice pudding, Micky Mouse, soccer, the song Dios subio su trono, John 3:16, pink

* Dreams: to be a police officer, doctor or engineer

~~~

Letter Highlights...
"There is a hero that I love and He is Jesus about whom I have been taught so much."

"I want to tell you that the place I would like to visit is Cartagena and San Andres Island, because they are spectacular places. I would like to meet you and know how you are and I want to meet your son in person."

"I want to help my family so that they can succeed and have better finances and stability. When I grow up I would like to be a doctor because I love to learn about the body."

"I was on vacation and I had a great time. I was in a place near Medellin called Gaitero, there is a very big lake where we can fish, buy fish and eat them, they are delicious. Do you like fish? It is a place filled with nature and green stairs."

"I like listening about the miracles of Jesus and how through His death He gave me life."

"I tell you that in my free time I like watching TV and speaking on the phone. My favorite activity is eating burgers with my family. When I am not in the project I like sleeping. When I am in the project I like learning new things. When I am bored I like listening to music. One fun thing I like to do is playing with my brother, going on walks with my friends."

"[T]he typical activities that I do are to share with my classmates and learn from the Bible. Among them, I like most is to walk and learn the word and many other things. What I like about the project staff is that they are helpful, humble and good people. When I am at my project, I typically have pasta, juice, Jell-O, spaghetti, cereals, juices, etc."

"During my school vacation I often go to play sports and spend time with my family, and what I like to do during that time is watching TV and sleeping. Sponsors, my favorite food during my vacation are burgers. During that time I like to be with my family. In the future on my vacation I would like to go to San Andres, it is an island of my country."

"While being with my friends, I usually go out to eat ice cream and what I like to do most with them is going out anywhere. Sponsors, I like to have friends because they are a big support to me."

"I like watching TV and My favorite person is my mother who is the woman who has been always with me. My favorite food is spaghetti and the color I like the most is pink."

"I'm happy because you keep writing to me and you remember me always as I remember you every day."

"I want to thank you for being in touch with me. I like that you tell me about what you read because that way I learn too."

~~~

Artwork


~~~

Recipes

The most common dish they cook is red beans and the recipe is the following: 1. place a pot with water to boil them. 2. Once the water boils, please the red beans on it and the corresponded spices, red plantain. 3. Add some carrots. 4. When every ingredient is on the pot, boil all them for half an hour and the beans are ready.

~~~

Visits & Gifts

In 2012, my friend Kristen was visiting Valeria's project (where she sponsors a child) and she took gifts and even got permission for us to speak on the phone! You can read the post here.

And then in 2015, when my friend Helen had a layover in Colombia, she brought some more gifts for Valeria: baby blanket and hats for Jacob, journal for dad, sewing kit and dishcloths for mom, lip gloss, barrettes, nail clippers, notebook, soap and washcloth.

Valeria sent a thank you letter that said, "I want to thank you for the present that you sent me! We loved it very much! ...the agenda that you sent me, has been so useful for me to write the things I need to be reminded. The blanket and hair clip, have been so useful in winter season and also make my hair lovelier. Everything I got was special!"


We were able to send Valeria a gift in 2015 and received these wonderful photos of her purchases! She wrote:
"I am happy to write you again. I want to tell you that I am very well. I hope your family is too. I want to thank you for the present you sent me in the year 2015 with which I bought a gas stove of two places, white slippers, a shirt and some pair of shorts. Thank you for everything you sent me which has been of very good use with me and my family. Thank you for the Christmas and birthday presents you sent me this year. With it I want to buy a pair of blue jeans and shirts. This year I finished 10th grade with a lot of effort and dedication. Thanks to this achievement next year I will finish my studies. With it I want to have a great career to help my parents and also improve myself every day with your prayers help. I also every day pray for you, sponsors. Thank you for everything you have given and I also tell you that my family is well. My brother too, he is already 3 years old. I will enjoy this Christmas with my family with a lot of love. Thank you very much for everything you give me, Eric and Hannah."

~~~

Extra Photos

Also thanks to Kristen visiting in 2011 (before I knew Kristen), I have a few extra photos of the project!

Kristen also took this photo where you can see Valeria in the yellow!

And Valeria sent us this photo in 2012:

~~~

To read the other posts in this series, click here.