Thursday, June 2, 2016

Gatwiri in Kenya

We have been Gatwiri's correspondents since January 2015. I will continue to update this post as we hear from her.


We have received 14 letters while corresponding with Gatwiri, one pastor's letter and one country director's letter. Her birthday is August 18. Gatwiri lives with her uncle, a farmer, three siblings and her cousins. Her father came back in 2018.

~~~

Project Info and Activities:

Gatwiri attends KE-469 in Mwarangeni, Mwingi
* Home to approximately 6,000 residents
* Primary ethnic group is Tharaka
* Most commonly spoken language is Kitharaka
* Most common work is work is subsistence farming, although the majority is unemployed
* Average earning is $25 a month
* Regional Diet: maize & beans
* Common Health Problems: malaria, typhoid, diarrhea, HIV/AIDS, skin diseases, tuberculosis, malnutrition
* Typical Houses: dirt floors, mud walls, thatched roofs

Center activities: Bible teaching, crusades, health screenings and education, games, merit awards, tuition, and trainings for parents and guardians.

~~~

Miscellaneous Info from Letters:

* Favorites: group games, hide-and-seek, soccer/football, volleyball, other ball games, math, helping the needy, mould pots, play soccer

~~~

Letter Highlights...
"In my free time I do visit the needy and mould pots for fun and I like paying football with my friends."

"In our country I have a game called volleyball and I would like to sure it with you. In our school we play so many games but I play volleyball. When I enter in the field of volleyball, I am very happy because I like volleyball."

"I enjoy going to school to learn and play with my best friends."

"Surely you have put a smile on my face."

"When I go to church, I like to dance because God created me to praise him."

"When I will saw that animal [an elephant] I will be happy as a king."

"I say thank you because you sent me many letters for me. I also appreciate your sincere support toward my eduction. I also tell you thank you so much for being there for me and willing to support me."

"I have my best friend called Nancy. I choose Nancy to be my best friend because she helps me the time I am in need."

"In our home my uncle, my aunt and our siblings they are also fine under God's care and protection. Our home is busy as bees in what they are doing."

"I say thank you because you sent me many letters for me. I also appreciate your sincere support towards my education. I also tell you thank you so much for being there for me and writing to support me."

"I must confess that I am very lucky to have you in my life as friend."

"Let me inform you that my parents and I are busy weeding even though it has not rained well. I just wake up in the morning to prepare myself to go to the garden."

"When we were closing school I managed to get two hundred and seventy nine marks and I was position two out of nineteen pupils."

"The main aim for writing this letter is to inform you that I am normally go to school everyday and I normally attend Saturday program and church. For now I normally attend SDA Church and when I am at Church I normally enjoy it."

~~~

Artwork


~~~

To read the other posts in this series, click here.