We have received 8 letters, one pastor's letter, and one country director's letter while corresponding with Selena. Her birthday is April 20. Selena lives with her mother, Fabiola, who works as a farmer, and with her grandparents.
Project Info and Activities:
Selena attends EC-451 in Riobamba
* Home to approximately 4,000 residents
* Primary language is Spanish
* Most common work is work is farming
* Average earning is $340 a month
* Regional Diet: cereal flour, bread, rice & potatoes
* Common Health Problems: parasites, malnutrition, diarrhea, breathing diseases
* Typical Houses: dirt floors, brick walls, corrugated iron roofs
Center Activities: Bible teaching, medical checkups, nutritious food, hygiene and health education, sports, field trips, birthday celebrations, academic reinforcement, homework help and vocational activities.
Miscellaneous Info from Letters:
* Favorites: running, reading, art/drawing, singing, color pink, listening to music, reading the Bible, math, natural sciences
Letter Highlights...
"I like a lot to know about the word of God. I like to listen to music and read the bible on my free time."
"I like to play soccer and I have a very nice classmate who is named Janneth y I want to tell you that I have two favorite subjects. They are Mathematics and Natural Sciences because in Mathematics we are learning what will help us when were are grown and in Sciences we are learning about the plants, how to care for them."
"I'm going to the project on Wednesdays and I have learned about the Ten Commandments and the Lord's Prayer. Ive learned a lot of things about our Savior Jesus Christ. I'm doing well at school. My favorite subjects are School Projects and Natural Sciences. Everybody in my class is my friend. I'm in 9th grade (2nd year of middle school). I also want to say that I like sports because it's good for health."
"Answering the question of your last letter, I'm called Selena because of my uncle, he wanted to name me like the famous singer that has very pretty songs and that is why I'm called Selena."
"I would also like to tell you that I am attending the project and I am praying for you. I learn in the project many things about the word of God and I like to sing. I have many friends."
"I want to dedicate this verse to you: Joshua 1:9 'see that I command you to be strong and courageous; do not be afraid or dismayed, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.'"
"At school in my studies I'm fine. I'm happy because I will soon finish school and I'll go to another course, at school in my spare time I like to play with my classmates and also read the books to be good in life."
"In the school project area, I am making some fabrics like scarf, caps, embroidery, bracelets, necklaces. I am the best student in that subject. My classmates are making scarfs."
"At high school, I am doing okay and take part in dance with my mates...The subjects that I like best are Physical Education and English, I do my best in order to learn English because I'd like to speak in English in future. My objective is to finish my high school studies in order to go to college, I'd like to become a doctor and this is my dream since I was a child. I will accomplish my dream as my aunt does...I would like to ask you: do you speak Spanish? What is your favorite animal? How old are you? What is your favorite food?"
"I would like to tell you that I have a friend who has been with me in the good and bad moments and I want to congratulate you for your beautiful baby that God has given. May God bless him and care for him and I want to tell you I really love babies because they are little angels. May God bless Mateo and may greetings to all your family."
To read the other posts in this series, click here.


