Thursday, October 20, 2016

Erick in El Salvador

We began corresponding with Erick in March 2016. I will continue to update this post as we hear from him.


We have received 10 letters, one pastor's letter, and one country director's letter while corresponding with Erick. His birthday is December 3. Yonatan lives with his parents and his father works as a church worker.

~~~

Project Info and Activities:

Erick attends ES-821 in Metapan, Texistepneque
* Home to approximately 10,000 residents
* Primary language is Spanish
* Most common work is work is day laboring
* Average earning is $114 a month
* Regional Diet: maize, beans & rice
* Common Health Problems: respiratory and gastrointestinal diseases
* Typical Houses: dirt floors, mud walls, tile roofs

Center activities: Bible teaching, medical and dental checkups, nutritious food, birthday celebrations, sports, academic reinforcement, vocational training and computer courses.

~~~

Miscellaneous Info from Letters:

* Favorites: soccer/football, bicycling, baseball, walking, swimming, ping pong, listening to music, other ball games, Bible story of Joshua, verse Philippians 4:13, "Perfume a Tus Pies," pet parrots, tigers, chicken soup, science, Barcelona

* Dreams: to be a soldier, a minister, to have a wife and children, to be a mechanic

~~~

Letter Highlights...
"[M]y best friends are Omar, and Oscar. We like doing everything together. When we re at school we like to play basketball in the recess and when we are in class we like to sit near and sometimes the teacher complains because we talk too much. When we have some homework we get together at home to do it. Omar is 15 years old and I met him when I was in third grade and Oscar is 16 years old. I met him last year when he came to live near my house. On weekends we get together to do homework and when we finish we watch comedy movies and we eat popcorn with soda. Sometimes we go to the park and we buy ice cream. I love to spend with my best friends... I ask you to pray for me that I can continue to be a good friend and that I can live in harmony with all people around me and specially with my family."

"I am very happy to know about [José's] birth. I feel very awesome when I see the photos of the baby because he really is handsome and big. Thank you for the other photos you have shared with me, Juanito and [Rosie] are very precious."

"I feel amazed to hear Sherinah's story and motive me to move forward and to fight to achieve my goals overcoming all the obstacles in my way."

"In the future I would like to be a solider and be a minister in the church and also be blessed by a beautiful wife and children."

"We have a devotional in which we read the Bible. What I have liked is the love God has for us and that is why he sent his son to be called his sons and daughters."

"I want to tell you that I love to spend time with my nice dog I have in my house called Snoopy and it is brown and when we got to the street he likes to run."

"I like to watch TV programs where I can watch the cultures. This last week we had holy week and I watch a documentary about the life of Jesus and this inspires me to come closer to God and to church."

"I thank God every morning for giving me the chance to be his son and for being always with me. I thank you for the beautiful drawings about the cross, I am going to color them and put them in my bedroom so I will be able to see them and think in Jesus' sacrifice."

"I want to tell you that I am attending to the music workshop from the project where I am learning to play the drums."

"I thank God I'm doing well and in the future I want to be a car fixer cause I like cars. And I also want to visit Hawaii and see the dolphins, is there any country you would like to visit?"

"It is good that you are able to listen to the Bible in that way. I am not as disciplined to read it, but I learn from your letters. The picture of the Bible is very nice and I ask you to pray for God to give me the desire to study His Word more."

"I also wish to share with you about my learning at the project. I am learning about the importance of personal hygiene and to have an adequate nutrition, and good family relationships. I am learning that God loves me just as I am am and that he has a plan for my life. I am also learning how to make a job resume."

"Good morning, beloved friends Eric and Hannah! I greet you very warmly and I hope you are very well! I want to tell you that I am very glad and thankful to God because He has kept me all this time, and I am also happy because on this day I received the precious letter with all the pictures of whales that you sent me. I loved watching the origami figures that you made, and of course that I will have fun trying to make one too. I have not had the opportunity to learn a lot about whales, so it seems interesting that you study about them and keep me informed about your discoveries. I tell you as well that today I will tell you about my dreams and if I think well, someday I will go diving in the ocean and to know about sea life, and for this I plan to travel by ship and to enjoy the trip and to arrive at some island and to start the adventure. I would also like to have more effort about knowing Jesus and to let Him guide my life. I have always dreamed about being an engineer and to get to build very high buildings because I love heights. What are the dreams you have and that you expect to fulfill later on? I want to ask you to please pray for God to let me fulfill my dreams, and also, someday I want to have the opportunity of meeting you in person. I send you all my fondness. From: Erick"

~~~

Artwork


~~~

Gift Photos

Erick's sponsor sent him a financial gift in 2016 and Erick shared, "I bought a blue jeans that I use to go to the project. I also bought food for me and my family: corn flakes, juices, cookies, oil, sugar, eggs, sauces, soups, oatmeal, spaghettis, milk, salt, toothpaste, soap and shampoo."


Erick's sponsor also sent a birthday gift in 2017!


Eric's sponsor sent a general gift in 2017, and Eric sent us this photo in return in early 2018:


~~~

To read the other posts in this series, click here.