Thursday, August 18, 2016

Antony in Dominican Republic

My parents began sponsoring Antony in December 2015. We have the privilege of corresponding with him! I will continue to update this post as we hear from Antony. They chose Antony when their child, Stuard, left Compassion's program. Both Stuard and Antony are from the same project!


Due to the fact that my parents' receive the letters, I am not sure how many letters we have received from Antony, but I do have a copy of one pastor's letter and one country director's letter. His birthday is August 27. Antony lives with his grandmother and has 5 siblings, but lives with three of them: older sister, Lorin, younger brothers, Tony and Gregory.

~~~

Project Info and Activities:

Antony attends DR-002 in Batey Aleman, San Pedro de Macoris


* Home to approximately 5,000 residents
* Most commonly spoken languages are Spanish & Creole
* Most common work is work is plantation work
* Average earning is $136 a month
* Regional Diet: maize, beans, bananas, chicken, bread, plantains & rice
* Common Health Problems: malnutrition, skin diseases, flu, diarrhea, vomiting
* Typical Houses: cement floors, wood walls, zinc roofs

Center Activities: Bible teaching, medical checkups, medicine, birthday celebrations, self-esteem workshops, vocational training, and school uniforms.

~~~

Miscellaneous Info from Letters:

* Favorites: group games, baseball, cars, marbles, math, basketball, pizza, blue, dogs, painting, biking, hero Jesus, math, language arts

* Dreams: to learn to read

~~~

Letter Highlights...
"The child wishes God bless you greatly and he is happy to be able to talk to you."

"May the love of God cover each of you and your family. I am glad to write you again. Let me tell you that I am working hard in math and language art and the sport that I like the most is baseball...Let me tell you that I ride bike with my friend every day after I finish school."

"Let me tell you that I went to the pool on holy week with my family and I saw a lot and I got a lot of fun and I like the sweet beans (it's a delicious dessert with coconut, sugar, milk, spices, sweet potato, etc.)."

"I am fine and I take time to think about the greatness of God... Would you like to visit DR?"

"My family is doing fine and in school they teach in Spanish and 3 days in English. I tell you that to have fun I play with my friends in the basketball court and we play hide and seek and tag. I want you to know that in school I'm doing good and the favorite thing in school for me is sports."

"This is Antony's cousin writing to you, he cannot write this letter because he is in another city, the center will be doing a transfer to the nearest town. He is fine and healthy, he thanks you for your letters, prayers and he wants you to pray for his grandmother who is also my grandmother, she had a knee surgery, everything was fine thank God. Antony asks you to pray for him and the town where he is. He wants to know if you have ever moved to another city. He says goodbye with love."

"I infom you that Antony moved with his mother to another city...and we are investigating if there is any center nearby to make a transfer... Please I ask you to pray a lot for the life of Anthony, for his studies and for his future plans. I say goodbye hoping you can continue to sponsor Antony and be part of his life."

~~~

Artwork


~~~

Extra Photos

We also have this wonderful extra photo of Antony from when another sponsor visited his project a few years ago!

~~~

To read the other posts in this series, click here.