Thursday, September 1, 2016

Ndikubwimana in Rwanda

We began corresponding with Ndikubwimana in June 2012. I will continue to update this post as we hear from him. In 2016, he shared that he calls himself Jean!


We have received 29 letters, one project director's letter, one pastor's letter, and one country director's letter while corresponding with Ndikubwimana. His birthday is February 11. Ndikubwimana, along with his three siblings, lives with his grandparents.

~~~

Project Info and Activities:

Ndikubwimana attends RW-553 in Kagesa, Kibungo


* Home to approximately 3,700 residents
* Most commonly spoken language is Kinyarwanda
* Primary ethnic group is Banyarwanda
* Most common work is work is day laboring
* Average earning is $25 a month
* Regional Diet: maize, beans & potatoes
* Common Health Problems: malaria, worms
* Typical Houses: cement floors, mud walls, tin roofs

Center Activities: Bible teaching, health screenings, hygiene and nutrition education, physical exercises, field trips, community service opportunities, scholastic materials, tutoring, vocational training, English courses and home visits.

~~~

Miscellaneous Info from Letters:

* Favorites: running, other ball games, Daniel in the Lion’s Den, “Jesus is My Shield”, soccer, car toys, Kinyarwandan & English languages, fetching water, playing, conversing with his family, meat, cooked bananas, Fanta, singing in the choir, sunny weather, Sundays, fetching water, collecting firewood

* Dreams: to have a good future with his family, to attend the university, to have cows, to become a soccer player, to visit Lake Kivu, to meet his sponsors, to be a pastor, to get married and have two children after getting a diploma, to learn English, to become a director

~~~

Letter Highlights...
"He knows how to count in English from 1-100."

"My mother is good and tries to cook what to eat like maize, beans and vegetables, lush potatoes and even sweet potatoes."

"Your child is eager to see you face to face."

"Thank you so much for caring about me and my family. We would like to hear your news."

"I wish to study much more."

"My studies are going well there is no problem. I am working very hard so that I will perform well this term. I wish to be third in my class. I request that you pray for me to achieve my dreams this year in my studies and in usual life."

"Thank you for your letter. I was very happy. My whole family was very happy. I dream to be a medical doctor."

"I dream about becoming a medical doctor. Pray for me that I may perform well academically."

"At school, I was the 2nd with 98%... I thank you so much for sending me a letter. Keep sending me more letters."

"I am preparing to go back to school so, pray for me to be able to pass with nice marks and I hope you do pray for my grandfather and grandmother because they give me the opportunity to go for sports. My brother is suffering from malaria so pray for him to get well and pray for my whole family. I will also pray for you that you may end well this year. May God watch over you."

"Please, keep sending me more letters because it pleases me to hear from you and even to see your photos. I really appreciate your prayers. Thank you and may God keep watching over you."

~~~

Artwork


~~~

Extra Photos & Gifts

Ndikubwimana sent two lovely photos in 2012. Sadly, he lost his mother in 2015, but I am so thankful that he sent the family photo because when we heard about his loss, we scanned it and printed it in size 8x10. I know that he will treasure it and am so glad I was able to send him the photo.

And when a friend heard about Ndikubwimana's loss, she offered to take gifts when she visited her Compassion children in Rwanda. She brought him toothpaste, toothbrush, coloring book, crayons, hot wheels fun pad, hot wheels car, stuffed bear, bag of marbles, bar of soap, lifesavers and tic-tacs.

In 2015, we sent a family gift and he shared, "Thank you for your gift. I used it to buy a goat and I expect to have more goats because it will reproduce and provides me with other goats."

~~~

To read the other posts in this series, click here.