Friday, November 30, 2012

International Highlight: Bangladesh

I have decided that two Fridays a month, I will post an international highlight, where I will share links to information on various countries. I'll go in alphabetical order and work through all the countries where Compassion works. My hope is to bring resources to you. I love reading the Compassion blog and website, but I know that when life is busy, you may not always have a lot of time to sit down and read! So I thought I'd bring my favorite blogs and videos to you.

My hope is that this will encourage you to pray for the kids and Compassion workers in each specific country and that it will encourage you to write to your kid (if you have a kid in that country). And if you don't have a kid in this country, maybe you'll be inspired to sponsor one.

So without further ado, may I introduce you to excellent articles about Bangladesh.

GENERAL INFO


If you want to read more about the history, education and other information, read Compassion's page on Bangladesh.

Compassion asks that we pray for two things for these kids here: "Please pray for the many children who encounter medical problems due to living in poverty. May the Lord restore them to health and allow them to continue to experience the joy of being a child." and "Pray for the love of the Lord to be demonstrated through the many different relationships that affect children with their families, siblings, friends and the staff."

COMPASSION IN BANGLADESH


If you want to read a thorough description of Compassion's work in Bangladesh, read their ministry highlight here. These are my favorite summaries of Compassion at work in each country! Compassion seeks to foster each child's spiritual development. One way that they do this in Bangladesh is through a Mail Box Bible Club.


You can read about this Bible club here.

I hope that this post on letter writing encourages you to write to your kids in Bangladesh: Sponsored Children Love Your Letters! Whenever I lose motivation in letter writing, a post like this always re-inspires me.


INDIVIDUAL STORIES

"A Day in the Life of Dipu"



Then there's the story of Hlaa me u and her baby...and how Compassion's Child Survival Program helped: This is How You are Saving Lives in Bangladesh.


You can read about how a family gift changed Biswanath's life: What Impact Does Giving a Family Gift Have on a Child's Life?

And how Compassion helped Kamrul: A New Day for Kamrul and Kamrul Receives His Cycle Van.


You can read about Jhumur, one of the Compassion staff: Meet Jhumur Biswas .


Finally, you can read about Compassion's work in the Santal and Garo tribes: Serving the Santal Tribe of Bangladesh and Serving the Garo Tribe in Bangladesh.

FOOD

A common snack food in Bangladesh is "Puffed Rice" (click the highlighted words to visit the post).


If you want to make a meal, you can make "Murgir Korma", which is a sweet chicken curry. You can read on Compassion's blog how to make it (click the highlighted words)!


SPECIAL OCCASIONS

Ever wondered how Christians in Bangladesh celebrate Easter? Read this post! Easter in Bangladesh

AVAILABLE KIDS

Please be praying for the kids of Bangladesh who are still waiting for sponsors.

Meet Irin, who's a 6-year-old girl. Irin likes playing with dolls and group games. Her birthday is March 5 and she's been waiting 334 days for a sponsor. To sponsor Irin, click here. Update: Irin has been sponsored!


And meet Asmot, who's an 8-year-old boy. Asmot enjoys playing soccer and group games. Asmot's birthday is October 26 and he's been waiting 334 days for a sponsor also. To sponsor Asmot, click here. Update: Asmot has been sponsored!




To see more available kids from Bangladesh, please click here.

(Note: all facts & photos are taken from Compassion's website and blog.)

9 comments:

  1. I love the idea!! Praying for the kids. Can't wait to see my countries. I do not have time to read all about them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for praying for the kids!! I hope you're able to enjoy reading about your kids' countries!!

      Delete
  2. What a great idea! Both those kids are beautiful, Asmot stands out to me. Oh how I wish I was rich haha!
    I'm looking forward to reading your blogs about Haiti, Rwanda & Uganda :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they beautiful kids!! I wish I had the money to sponsor more too :) I'm glad you like the idea!!

      Delete
  3. Love your blog, and love every pic of your kiddos! (Including Juanito!) Are you an advocate? How do you get the pics of kids waiting? Do you have the packets shipped to your house and then upload the picture to your blog with the details?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Yes, I'm an advocate...and while I do have 2 child packets currently, neither kid is from Bangladesh. So I actually went online and did a search for "Bangladesh" and "longest waiting" and found Asmot and Irin. I just took the photos from Compassion's page and posted them on here (and put the links to the kids).

      Delete
  4. Great idea, Hannah. I don't know if you have seen any of my "country expert" posts, but you are welcome to take info from them if you think it will add to your posts.

    You are doing great work in your advocacy, Hannah. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen your "country expert" posts, but I'll go look at them later today. Thanks so much for the offer to take info from them!!

      Delete
    2. They are under the Country tab at the top of my blog, or under the country label. I've done almost all of the 26 countries. I got really tired of doing them by the end!

      Delete