Saturday, July 20, 2013

Correspondence Connections: July

Thanks to the Michelle of Blogging from the Boonies, I'm continuing with my Correspondence Connections posts!

Normally I don't mail letters every month (since it gets kind of expensive!) but I found out that gift bags can be sent to our kids! I was so excited at the thought of sending gift bags that I whipped up a quick package for our kids. The gift bags, once folded, fit into the 8.5" x 11" and 1/4" thick guidelines, after removing the handles.

Along with the gift bags, I included a drawing that I did about 4 years ago:


And I created a template sharing information about my family members and Eric's family members. And then I included all the information that I had about each child's family members (I included 2 copies of their info)! I asked the kids to fill in the missing info and to return one page with info about their family. We'll see if we hear back from any of our kids! It would be fun to learn more about each of them, though.

Finally, I created a map on Google Maps showing where we live and where each child lives! For example, you can see Eric & I in Florida and Gizelle in Brazil. (I had to Screenshot the Google Map and then import it into Pages, where I overlaid the photos.) I enjoyed seeing where we live in comparison to each child!


Additionally, I wrote two online letters this month. There first was about my trip to the Dominican Republic in 2009 with my brother and sister. I shared about our time working with kids in the Bateys and my visit to encourage kids in the hospital. I also shared how we helped with a youth retreat and that I learned about Hillsong! My favorite Hillsong songs on the trip were "Desde Mi Interior" ("From the Inside Out") and "Mi Dios Puede Salvar" ("Mighty to Save").



My final letter was about our church. Jenny had asked if she could know more about our church and I thought that all the kids might enjoy hearing about our church! I made sure to include photos too!



Hopefully this post can give you ideas about what to write about and/or what to include with your letters! What did you write about in July?

2 comments:

  1. I made the same maps this month! I haven't sent them yet, because I can't quite figure out how I want to send them yet. I think I'm going to attach the pictures I made to the bottom of an email. I made them the size of a regular photo.

    This month, I wrote about the 4th of July and what that means to the U.S. I included a list of some of the popular thins in our country and asked for them to share popular things from their country. I had a fun time writing that letter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool that you also made maps this month!!! They're going to love them!!!! And what a good idea to make them the normal photo size so that you can just attach them...I didn't think of that.

      That's also a great idea to write a 4th of July theme letter. I've never thought about asking my kids to share popular things from their countries!! What a great question! I wrote a 4th of July letter last year and it was a hit with my boys from India!

      Delete