Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Sidewalk Games: Tirar Frijoles

This month's sidewalk game is called Tirar Frijoles and is played in Bolivia. The letters I sent looked like this:


If you would like to learn how to play or would like to share this letter with your sponsored child, here is what I shared:

Dear Name,

Greetings in the name of Jesus! How are you and your family?

Do you enjoy playing games? I enjoy playing games! When I was younger, I really enjoyed learning games from other countries. I thought that I would share with you a game played by kids in Bolivia called "Tirar Frijoles" or "Throw Beans." Bolivia is a country in South America. Here are the directions on how to play:

Tirar Frijoles
To play, you need: Two players. A bag of dried beans divided equally between the two players.
1. Draw a line on the ground.
2. Each player stands about 1.5 meters from the line and attempts to flick a bean toward the line. The player whose bean lands closest to the line becomes the standing player. The other player becomes the kneeling player, who will be the first player to throw the beans.
3. The standing player stands by the line toes apart with a bean in his hand.
4. The kneeling player kneels about 1.5 meters from the line and attempts to flick a bean between the standing players feet.
5. The kneeling player gets three attempts to land a bean.
6. If the kneeling player does not land a bean, the standing player keeps the unlanded beans and takes a turn at being the kneeling player.
7. If the kneeling player lands a bean, the standing player drops the bean he is holding.
8. The keeling player tries to hit the opponent’s beans. If it’s hit, the bean belongs to the kneeling player. If not, the standing player keeps the bean as well as the bean used for the hit.
9. The game ends when one player owns all the beans or marbles.

I included some photos also: a map of Bolivia, Bolivia's flag and a photo of Bolivia's beautiful scenery.

I love you dearly and I am praying for you! May God bless you.
Love,
Hannah


I found the map, flag and photo via Google searches. I love being able to find images on Google that apply to the letters that I send! I hope that in addition to being able to learn a new game, our kids will be able to learn more about the world around them and other countries.

2 comments:

  1. Ohh, so neat! I am thinking that I will send this to my kiddos this month as I couldn't really come up with a good theme. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! I'm so glad that you can use this idea for a letter topic!! I love hearing others ideas as it helps inspire me :)

      Delete