Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Project Director's Letter: East India

The next letter I'd like to share is from Dinesh's project, EI-221. The photos are from Compassion's regional country page about the region where Dinesh lives, so although they aren't necessarily from Dinesh's project, they give an idea of the area.

Dear Eric and Hannah,

Greetings to you! I am David, the Project Director of the Hembrom Child Development Center, where Dinesh attends. The project is located in a remote village of Jharkahnd, in East India.


I am very thankful to you for sponsoring Dinesh. This is tribal community where most people are involved in drinking, bound in superstition, worship the spirits and practice witchcraft. The children at the project need good education both formal and non-formal and moral teaching to more forward in life.


When children come to the center, they participate in the devotion, learn from the Global Resource Curriculum, get help with academic lessons, learn moral values and good manners, and most important, learn about God through Scripture study, action songs, memory verses and prayer.


I am pleased to see the impact of the project in children and in the community at large. There is a vast change in the children since they have enrolled in the project. Now their behavior is completely changed and they are growing in their faith. Children share their learning with their parents and siblings at home. They respect the elders and love act other as taught by the project workers. They are curious of new things and this is a good sign of their personality development.


The involvement of parents has increased because they are now regular to the meetings that we conduct at the project. We conduct awareness programs on health, hygiene, social responsibilities, and social evils, inspire parents to take good care of their children, and let go of their habits of drinking, fighting at home, and practicing witchcraft.


Before the project started, the community people were not instructed in the education of their children but now they want to give their children good education and send them to English schools. We encourage our project workers to identify the strengths in our children that will enable us to drive them in the right direction.


Because of the project we have seen transformations in the village as well. There is development in terms of hygiene and cleanliness, and many parents have stopped drinking. Credit goes to our children who are introducing good habits in their homes. Many children have received gifts from their sponsors that have helped them in their family.


We have assisted younger children to fill their Multiple Intelligence Check tool and children above 12 years were guided to fill in their My Plan for Tomorrow. This life plan helps children to set realistic goals for life. Special coaching classes for children are helping them to improve in their studies.


The sponsor child relationship is established through letter writing regularly. Whenever children get a letter from their sponsor, they are thrilled to know about their sponsor. Photos that most sponsors send with their letters are cherished by the children.


I would be every grateful to you if you would kindly pray for our ministry here, our staff, our project children and our community so that God may shower His manifold blessings upon them and us. Finally, I express my heartfelt thanks to you for providing all the necessary things for Dinesh through this project and helping your child to come out of poverty.

May God bless you!

David, Project Director

5 comments:

  1. Aw man, I'd love to get some of these! Thanks for sharing! Compassion in EI (or at least the centre I went to!) do some truly amazing work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you not get these? This is the first year that I've received them. I hope someday you'll get them!

      Delete
    2. And that is so cool that you were able to go to a project in EI!!!

      Delete
  2. Great letter - it was fun to read this one from a different part of East India (I also posted one from East India this week). Where did you get all these photos?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I enjoyed reading your East India letter. It's fun to see the differences. I found the photos on this page: http://www.compassion.com/india/indian-culture.htm

      It's the page that shows up when I log into my Compassion account and look at each child's bio. This was under our Dinesh's profile.

      Delete