Monday, April 21, 2014

Sidewalk Games: Hoppe-Strikk

This month's sidewalk game is called Hoppe-Strikk and is played in Norway. The letter I sent looked like this:


If you would like to learn how to play or would like to share this letter with your sponsored child, here is what I shared (I included a little Happy Easter message in the first paragraph that I didn't include here):

Dear Name,

I would like to share another game with you. This game is called Hoppe-Strikk and is played by kids in Norway. Norway is a country in the part of Europe called Scandinavia. Norway is located in northwestern Europe. There are over 450,000 lakes in Norway! Because Norway is so far north, during their summer (in June), they'll have some days where the sun never sets, and during their winter (in December), they'll have some days when the sun never rises!

Hoppe-Strikk is a game played by many children in Norway:

To play, you need: 3 or more players. And 3.5 meters of string tied tied in a circle.

1. Two players hold the rope at each end--but not with their hands! They stand with it around their ankles.

2. The remaining players jump over one side and then the other.

3. The holders lift the rope higher and higher.

4. Players jump in and out.

5. Rope holders can ask players to jump backward, with their eyes shut, or on one foot. When a player misses, he is out.

I love you dearly and I'm praying for you and your family. God bless you.

Love,
Hannah


I found the map, flag and photo via Google searches.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! It sounds kind of like hopscotch to me.

      Delete
  2. Such a neat idea! And I love how you shared the country information :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I figured it's a great opportunity to help them learn more about the world.

      Delete