We received our first letter from our 9-year-old correspondent Jhandra! Jhandra is from Colombia.
Jhandra shared a little bit about herself, her family and the project! We learned that she attends the Compassion project every Friday and Saturday and that her tutor's name is Graciela. Jhandra shared, "[Graciela] teaches me about the love of God and to take care of myself." I love hearing what the kids are learning!
Jhandra also shared that she has 5 siblings and listed their names. She also has a nephew named Angel! And she has three pets, a cat and two doves. She drew a cute pictures of her pets. I asked in my reply what their names are! Then she closed by sharing Proverbs 25:25, "As cold water to a weary soul, so is good news from a far country," (NKJV). I love this verse!
Then, remember how I shared that Helen visited Franco?
Well, when she met Franco and his mom, they sent her home with a gift for us. And that gift arrived today!
I was determined not to open it before Eric got home from work. I think it's never been so hard to wait to open a package! But this is what arrived!!!
It's a blanket!! Handmade from Franco's mom!!! It's folded in half in the photo, so it's hard to see it's full size. Wow. I'm floored. What a thoughtful and incredibly generous gift. I've never received a gift like this before from a sponsored child. My heart is so full. I just had to share this here!
Sometimes I feel so blessed by our kids. Their kind words and gestures are so precious. I try to check my motives in sponsoring and corresponding with kids…I want to write to be a blessing to the kids, without any expectation for them to return the feelings. It's an opportunity to love as Christ loved us! But when the kids do reciprocate, it just fills my heart with such joy and is such a wonderful motivator to keep investing in these kids!

o my, its wonderful!!
ReplyDeleteIsn't that a wonderful surprise?!
DeleteWhat a great verse!!
ReplyDeleteAnd how incredible that Franco and his mom sent you a gift. Just amazing!! :)
Yes, I love that verse too!! And it was amazing that they sent a gift…I've never had anything like that happen before!
DeleteI'm excited that you heard from your Colombian kiddo! I think the rest of us probably have letters on the way, too- it's encouraging to read that you got yours! And I'm just floored by Franco's present!!! How beautiful. He's such an amazing young man!
ReplyDeleteI hope that everyone else's letters arrive from the Colombian batch of correspondents assigned. I know that it seemed to take longer than usual for first letter! I also was floored by Franco's gift. He and his family seem so wonderful! I wish I could've seen them in person.
DeleteThat blanket is absolutely beautiful! And what a great letter, too!
ReplyDeleteIsn't it beautiful?? I'm still amazed when I look at it :)
Delete