Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Men & Women of Faith: George Mueller

November's man of faith is George Mueller! Here is a visual of the letter that I sent to each child:


Here is the text of the letter I sent:

My dear Name,

Greetings in the name of Jesus. How are you and your family? We're doing well, thanks to God! The next story I would like to share with you is about George Mueller.

George Mueller was not always a person of great faith and good character. As a young boy growing up in Germany in the early 1800s, he often stole money from his dad. One time he was caught by police and put in jail. One day, a friend invited George to go to a Bible study. He went only because he wanted to make fun of the Christians later. But to his surprise, he liked the Bible study. For the first time, he saw people who really knew and loved God. He attended each evening. Before the end of the week, he knelt at his bed and asked God to forgive his sins.

George became the pastor of a small church in England. Each day as George walked the streets, he saw children everywhere who had no mom or dad. They lived on the streets or in state-run poorhouses, where they were treated badly. George felt God calling him to open an orphanage to take care of the children. George prayed, asking God to provide a building, people to oversee it, furniture, and money for food and clothing. God answered his prayers. The needs of the orphanage were met each day.

One day the children were dressed and ready for school. But there was no food for them to eat. George asked the 300 children to sit at the dining room tables. He thanked God for the food and waited. George knew God would provide food for the children as he always did. Within minutes, a baker knocked on the door. He couldn’t sleep and knew that the children would need bread in the morning. So he baked three batches for you. Soon, there was another knock at the door. It was the milkman. His cart had broken down in front of the orphanage. The milk would spoil by the time the wheel was fixed. He asked George if he could use some free milk. The ten large cans of milk was just enough for the 300 thirsty children.

I love that story of how God provided for George Mueller and the kids! Can you think of a time when God provided for you in a miraculous way? I would love to hear your story!

Love,
Hannah


For photos, I googled George Mueller's name and found a portrait to include with the letter! I also included a photo of some of the kids from Mueller's orphanage.

Feel free to copy and paste this letter to your kids also!

6 comments:

  1. Yay for George Mueller! That bread baking/milk cart story is the one they mentioned on "Adventures in Odyssey!" I love that story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that story too!!! I thought my kids would enjoy it. And I hope they answer my question asking for them to share stories about how God has provided for their needs…I'd love to hear what the kids think!

      Delete
  2. Hannah, I have used three of your biographies with a 16 year old I write to in Ghana through Compassion. Thank you so much for allowing others to share these, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you are able to use these biographies!! I plan on continuing with them in 2015!

      Delete
  3. Just used your George Meuller letter. Thanks so much! I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete