Sunday, February 15, 2015

Sidewalk Games: Red Light, Green Light

This month's sidewalk game is called Red Light, Green Light. I thought I'd share a game that I played as a kid! The letter I sent looked like this:


If you would like to learn how to play or would like to share this letter with your sponsored child, here is what I shared:

Dear Name,

This month I'd like to share a sidewalk game that I played as a kid! It is called "Red Light, Green Light." When I was young, I lived in Amherst, Massachusetts and in an apartment complex. There were many buildings around and we lived an apartment in one of the buildings. In front of our building there was a playground and a big grassy area with some trees. It was so pretty!

Because we had a big grassy area and a playground, many of the neighborhood kids came to play. We had friends from all over the world: Sarah and Sally from Iran, Tiffany from Taiwan, PJ from the Philippines, Dagnet from Puerto Rico, Anya from Russia, Favian and Erika from Colombia, and then a little girl from Nigeria who liked to watch the "big kids," twin baby girls from India, and we had babysitters who had moved to the United States from South Korea, Russia, and Taiwan. We enjoyed playing tag and Red Light, Green Light!

Here is how to play! To play, you need: 3 or more players.

1. Choose one person to be the light. That person stands at the end of the field, about 9-12 meters away from the other players.

2. The other players line up and listen to the light person.

3. When light person turns his back to the players and yells "Green light," the players at the line can run towards the light person. At any moment, the light person can yell "Red light," and turn around the face the other players. The runners must stop at "Red light" and and if the light person catches them running, they have to go back to the line at the other end of the field.

4. The light person keeps repeating yelling "Green light" with his back to the players and then turning around after yelling "Red light" until one person tags him. That person is the new light!

Do you have a game like this in your country? What is your favorite game to play with your friends?

I included some photos of me playing with our neighbors when we were young! You can see our front step, the grassy field, and the playground (with snow!).

I love you so much! I am praying for you and your family. May God bless you, my dear friend.

Love,
Hannah


Feel free to copy this game to share with your sponsored kids!

2 comments:

  1. .We played Red Light, Green Light with a group of lovely ladies at TZ229. It was a HUGE hit. When it was one girl's turn to lead the game, she just said "green light" over and over again, which was actually a good strategy since each time she spoke, *almost* everyone would stop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so fun!!! What a good idea to teach that game to the kids while visiting the project!

      Delete