Saturday, October 24, 2015

Animals: Polar Bears

My parents' sponsored child, Nelci, shared that she would like to learn more about Polar Bears, thus this month's animal topic! I got my information from National Geographic Kids, Animal Facts, and Care2. The photo I found through a Google Images search. The letter I sent looked like this:


If you would like to learn about the animal or would like to share this letter with your sponsored child, here is what I shared:


Dear Name,

I have started teaching Juanito a little of nursery school. Right now we are mostly reading books, memorizing Bible verses, and sometimes we learn a letter. Next year I will teach Juanito about all the letters! We recently read a book about a boat that was sailing in the water. The girl on the boat saw dolphins and whales! So Juanito wanted to learn more about animals that live in the water. Did you know that Polar Bears love the water so much that they are considered a marine mammal like otters, walruses, and seals? Juanito and I loved learning about Polar Bears and I wanted to share what we learned with you!

Polar Bears only live in the Arctic. They have black skin and clear fur (their fur looks white because it reflects the sunlight). Sometimes Polar Bears in zoos have green fur because in warmer climates, algae can grow in their fur and make it look green. Polar Bears are huge bears! The males are typically 351 to 544 kilograms and 3.35 meters tall! Polar bears have an excellent sense of smell, with the ability to detect seals nearly 1.6 kilometers away. Polar bears can reach speeds up to 40 kph on land and 10 kph in water.

In fall pregnant polar bears make dens in earth and snowbanks, where they'll stay through the winter and give birth to one to three cubs. In spring the mother emerges from her den followed by her cubs. During that time she will protect them and teach them how to hunt. The cubs stay with the mother for 2.5 years!

When I learn about strong, powerful animals like Polar Bears, it reminds me of how great God is! God created the Polar Bear, and compared to God, the Polar Bear is like a speck of dust. And yet God cares for each Polar Bear in the world! And even more so, He cares for you! I would like to share Psalm 91 with you. Please try to read the whole Psalm! But here are some beautiful verses to remind you that God is always with you and can protect you. Psalm 91:1-2, "Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”" And then Psalm 91:14-16, "“Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call on me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.”" I would like to remind you that no matter what happens on earth, no matter how much suffering we experience, God has a home for us in heaven and we will live forever, with God, in peace without suffering! Praise God for the hope we have to look to heaven when life is hard.

I am praying for you and I love you very much. May God bless you. Love, Hannah

I'm enjoying learning about all these animals and I think our kids will too!