Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Genet in Ethiopia

I shared Shamim's story last week and since I have my kids' letters organized in binders, I'm going to work through a binder at a time. So we will have a big group of girls and then boys and then we'll rotate through again!

~~~

We began corresponding with Genet in April 2009 and corresponded with her until October 2009.


We received 3 letters while corresponding with Genet. Her birthday is December 1, 1994. Genet lived with her parents and 2 siblings, a brother and a sister. Her dad worked as a wood chopper and her mom as a daily laborer.

~~~

Project Info and Activities:

Genet attended ET-855, on the plains of Bekeka and Kore Odo, west of Addis Ababa.
* Home to approximately 2,700 residents
* Primary ethnic group is Oromo
* Most commonly spoken language is Oromigna
* Most common work is farming
* Average earning is $12 a month
* Regional Diet: bread, maize & potatoes
* Common Health Problems: typhoid fever, tuberculosis, colds, intestinal parasites
* Typical Houses: mud, thatch roofs

Center activities: visiting Ambo Mineral Factory. Bible teaching, medical exams, hygiene supplies, recreational activities, tutoring, scholastic materials and formal education.

~~~

Miscellaneous Info from Letters:

* Favorites: group games, ping pong, jump rope, volleyball, bread, English subject, calves, story of Joseph, colors red & black, Christmas holiday

* Dreams: to be a doctor

~~~

Letter Highlights...
"I have got from the project cloth, shoe, sportswear, school items, school fee, school uniform, pant, t-shirt, underwear, soap, flour, oil."

"When I grow up, I want to be a doctor…What do you want me to be in the future?"


~~~

Final Letter:

This was the saddest final letter I have ever received. To this day I pray that Genet is ok and I ask that you would do the same!

"Dear Miss Hannah Berry,

How are you doing? Genet is doing great. Praise God. He has moved from her home town 3 months ago and we don't know where she is now. She also quit school. Her family couldn't find her. May God bless you for every support you have given her so far. "