Here is the text of the letter I sent:
Dear Name,
Greetings in the name of the Lord Jesus. How are you and your family? I hope you are all well!
I recently heard this story lesson from a friend and wanted to share it with you:
"If you are able to do it, take a big cup of water outside and pour it out on the ground. Was it easy to pour the water out? Where did the water go? Did it soak into the ground or spread out in many directions?
Once the water is poured out, I have something else for you to try. Take the cup and try to put the water that you poured out back into the cup. Are you able to do it? Is it very difficult? I don't think it will be possible for you to get the water back into the cup.
The Bible teaches us that the words we speak are very much like spilled water. Once your words come out of your moth, it is impossible to put them back in. Like spilled water, our words are absurd by the people around us. Our words scatter in all directions.
For this reason, we must be sure that the words we speak are kind and helpful. Our words are very powerful. Words have the power to help and power to hurt. Has anyone ever hurt you with their words? It can make you feel very bad inside when someone says hurtful things about you. it is hard to forget the ugly words that people say to us.
God wants us to use our words to share His truth. We can use our words to remind others of how beautiful, special, and important they are to God. You can encourage them to follow His commands so that they will have a good life.
Before you say something to someone else, you should THINK. Ask yourself these questions:
Is what I am about to say TRUE?
Is it HELPFUL?
Is it INSPIRING?
Is it NECESSARY?
Is it KIND?
These questions will help you follow Ephesians 4:29--"Let no unwholesome words come out of your mouth, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, so that it may benefit those who listen."
I was challenged by this lesson to use my words to bless others and not hurt them. My prayer is that you also will be challenged and that God will help us all to honor Him and encourage others with our words.
With much love,
Hannah
I googled "cup of spilled water" to find the image.
Feel free to copy and paste this letter to your kids also!
