Saturday, January 16, 2016

Letter Writing: Dominican Republic

Thanks to Earl John's desire to learn more about iguanas and Jefry sharing a game, I decided to write about the Dominican Republic (Jefry's country)! I took my info about iguanas from A-Z Animals. I also shared a little about chameleons because Earl John's description of an iguana resembled a chameleon, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to share the differences! My info about chameleons also came from A-Z Animals. I found the photos thanks to a Google Images search!

Here's a picture of the letter I sent:


If you would like to share this letter with your sponsored child, here is what I wrote:

Dear Name,

I know I have shared a bit about the Dominican Republic before, but I would like to share more, because my friend Jefry, who's 15 and from the Dominican Republic, shared a really fun game with me! I included a photo of Jefry for you to see. Just to remind you, the Dominican Republic is a country that covers two-thirds of the island Hispaniola in the Caribbean Sea. Jefry's game is called La CaƱarita. To play, fill a pastic bottle with sand, put the top on and one person hides it. And the others have to find it. Whoever finds it first gets to be the next person to hide it!

I also wanted to write about iguanas! I saw iguanas when I visited the Dominican Republic! And when I visited Cuba I saw iguanas. Iguanas are native to South America, Central America, and the islands of the Caribbean. That's why I saw them in the Dominican Republic and in Cuba! Although iguanas are omnivores (meaning they eat both meat and plants), most iguana individuals in the wild tend to enjoy a very herbivorous diet (meaning they enjoy eating plants), with ripened fruit being one of the iguanas favourite foods. Most mature adult iguanas weigh around 4 kg, but it is not uncommon for large, healthy iguanas where food is in good supply, to weigh up to 8 kg and grow to over 2 meters in length. That is very big! Iguanas are excellent swimmers and will often dive beneath the water to avoid oncoming predators. Iguanas can also climb trees. They are typically green or brown in color. The photo of the iguana is on the left.

Sometimes people get iguanas and chameleons mixed up. Chameleons are found throughout jungle and desert alike, in Africa, Asia and parts of Southern Europe. There are more than 160 different species of chameleon that range from just an inch to more than a couple of feet in size. The tiny pygmy leaf chameleon, found in the jungles of Madagascar, is the smallest species of chameleon, measuring less than 3 cm long. The largest species of chameleon, the Malagasy giant chameleon, is also found in the jungles of Madagascar and can grow to nearly 70 cm in length. Some species of chameleon, although not all, are able to change the colour of their skin in order to be camouflaged into their surroundings. These colour changes in the chameleon's skin colour can include colours such as pink, blue, red, orange, green, black, brown, light blue, yellow and turquoise, all so that the chameleon can blend in more easily. The chameleon has exceptional eyesight for a reptile as the structure of the chameleon's eye, allows the chameleon to have complete 360 degree vision around it's body. The photo of the chameleon is in the middle.

Both chameleons and iguanas are amazing lizards and examples of God's creativity!
Love, Hannah

Feel free to copy this game to share with your sponsored kids!