Saturday, March 14, 2020

Outgoing Mail: March


~~~
I am continuing to share about the Fruit of the Spirit. I am using Creative Faith & Co.'s Produce in Me devotional. The lessons are available in Spanish and in English, and have cute printables that can be attached!


Dear Friend,

The next fruit of the Spirit that we are looking at is Joy! Hillary Krippaehne writes:

"I wandered around the flower section at [a store] one day. I knew a friend of mine was having a tough week, and I thought flowers would put a smile on her face. As I walked around looking at all the different types, bright yellow tulips kept catching my eye. Whenever I think of joy, the color yellow comes to mind. The yellow flowers blessed her immensely.

A few weeks later, I had a difficult morning at church. I had been running around like a crazy lady trying to finish everything, when someone handed me a vase full of yellow flowers. It stopped me in my tracks and put the biggest smile on my face. God knew I needed a joy reminder that day.
Read Psalm 30:11. The Bible tells us that God will turn our mourning into dancing. He will help us put on joy.

Read 1 Peter 1:6-7. Peter reminds readers that joy is coming, even though they are in the middle of tough times.

Let us pray: God Almighty, please help us to seek joy daily. I pray that even when we are in the middle of trials and challenges we would be able to see You working. In Jesus’ name, amen.

Going deeper:
 When’s the last time you felt complete joy?
 Where do you go to feel happy when you are sad?
Illustrate the place where you go to seek joy.
 Write Joy = and list what joy equals to you.
 When is the last time God gave you a joy reminder? How can you keep your eyes open to look for those reminders today?
 Read through the book of Ruth. How did Naomi go from being full of sadness to being full of joy? What can you learn from Naomi’s story?"

I love the story of Ruth, and I hope that you will take the time to read it in the Bible. I would love to hear what you think about this story!

Love,
Hannah

I included the illustration that goes along with the lesson and a coloring page of Isaiah 55:12.


~~~

When we studied Japan, the kids and I really enjoyed the story The Perfect Sword. The illustrations and story were so great!


Dear Friend, The kids and I learned about Japan, and we really loved a story by Scott Goto called "The Perfect Sword." I hope you enjoy this story and the illustrations. ❃ Sensei and his apprentice Michio worked with great attention to every detail in making a magnificent samurai sword. Sensei concluded, "A just sword must have a just owner," and they set out to find the right owner for the perfect sword. ❃ The news of the great sword spread fast, and the great Katsuo came to buy the sword. "I have easily defeated hundreds of men... I have captured countless villages! All who see me run in fear! Only one as strong as I deserves such a perfect sword," Katsuo roared. "I am sorry," Sensei calmly replied, "but you are far too cruel and arrogant for the sword." ❃ Next, Lord Toda was carried on a litter by his servants to see the great sword. "I have much policial power and influence... I have hundreds of servants and warriors... Truly one as noble as I deserves such a perfect sword." "And how many battles have you fought in?" asked Sensei. "Me, fight in battle? Never!" replied Lord Toda. "I'm sorry," replied Sensei, "You have earned nothing for yourself. This sword is not for you." ❃ The ronin Kenshin came next to see the sword. "I have dedicated my life to training... All that matters to me is winning duels and perfecting my skill. Only one as dedicated as I should own such a perfect sword," claimed Kenshin. "I'm sorry," replied Sensei, "You are dedicated, but you are also selfish. This sword is not for you. Thank you for coming by." ❃ Michio and Sensei were discouraged because all the samurai they had seen were too cruel, too privileged, or too selfish. But in the market they heard a cry, "Stop, thief," and then saw a young man block the thief's path. He asked the thief to return the money, and when the thief refused and attacked, the young man quickly disarmed the thief and returned the items to the vendor. The vendor wanted to pay him, but the young man refused payment saying, "One should not be rewarded for doing right." ❃ Michio and Sensei asked the young man to come to their home and share his story. "My name is Takeshi," said the young man, bowing low. "Why did you not draw your sword today?" asked Sensei. "Hurting someone needlessly is an act of weakness, not strength." "You are obviously very skilled," noted Sensei. "Not skilled enough! Learning martial arts is never-ending and requires hard work!" declared Takeshi. "Why did you help today?" asked Sensei. "I had the power to help. When one can, one should," was Takeshi's answer. "Excellent," replied Sensei, "You are the one we have been searching for." And Sensei gave Takeshi the sword! ❃ I also included Japanese artwork, "The Great Wave" by Hokusai, and "Cranes on the River" by Hiroshige. Love, Hannah

Along with illustrations from the book, I included two famous Japanese works of art from Hokusai and Hiroshige.


~~~

Happy Writing!