Saturday, July 11, 2020

Outgoing Mail: July


~~~
I am continuing to share about the Fruit of the Spirit. I am using Creative Faith & Co.'s Produce in Me devotional. The lessons are available in Spanish and in English, and have cute printables that can be attached! This month's topic was Kindness.


Dear Friend,

The next fruit of the Spirit that we are looking at is Kindness! Hillary Krippaehne writes:
"In high school my friends and I had a saying ... Random Act Of Kindness. We would take turns doing kind things for people throughout the week. It was and is amazing to see how God can take a small act of kindness and use it to touch the lives of others. Job 6:14 reminds us to not withhold kindness from our friends. I have a slight pineapple obsession. Last year I learned pineapples are a symbol of hospitality, which reminded me of a story in the Bible.

Read Luke 10:30-37.
Jesus asks a question in verse 36. He says, which of these people was a neighbor? The neighbor was the one who showed kindness and mercy. How are we treating our neighbors?

Read Isaiah 63:7.
We are to show kindness to others because our Heavenly Father is so very kind to us. We constantly disobey Him and let Him down, yet He constantly forgives us and showers us with blessings, compassion, and kindness. He is such a sweet God.

God Almighty, thank you for your kindness to me. I do not deserve it, but you are full of mercy and kindness. Help me to not withhold that kindness from others. Help me to seek opportunities to bless those around me. Give me the energy and strength to do all the things You put on my heart. In Jesus’ name, amen.

Going deeper:
 Who are your neighbors? Draw your neighborhood and explain how you are showing kindness where God has planted you.
 Read a story in the Bible of someone showing kindness, like David to Saul (1 Samuel 24), or Rebekah to Abraham’s servant (Genesis 24). What can you learn from his or her story?
 Read and illustrate Romans 12:13.
 Draw a pineapple to remind yourself to be sweet to those around you! Brainstorm a list of random acts of kindness you can do to bless others."

I would love to hear how you bless those around you with acts of kindness. Please write and tell me your stories!

Love,
Hannah

I included the illustration that goes along with the lesson and a coloring page.


~~~

In addition to replying to any letters that we received, I also wrote about Mateo's favorite animal, the duckbill platypus! I shared photos and information from Nat Geo Kids.


Dear Name,

How are you? How is your school year going? We send our love to you and your family! Mateo's favorite animal is the duckbill platypus, so I wanted to send you a letter about this animal! Mateo loves to pretend he is a baby platypus hatching out of an egg. He was extra excited to be in Puggles in Awana (a Bible class that meets at our church) because the Puggles class wears shirts with a platypus on it. I included a photo for you to see!

The platypus lives in Australia, and they are one of the few mammals that lays eggs! National Geographic writes this about the platypus:
"Duck-billed platypuses are small, shy animals. They have a flattened head and body to help them glide through the water. Their fur, dark brown on top and tan on their bellies, is thick and repels water to keep them warm and dry even after hours of swimming.
The duck-billed platypus's head and body grow to about 38 centimeters and its tail grows to about 13 centimeters long. Their most remarkable feature is their amazing snout. It looks like a duck's bill, but is actually quite soft and covered with thousands of receptors that help the platypus detect prey.
Males are also venomous. They have sharp stingers on the heels of their rear feet and can use them to deliver a strong toxic blow to any foe.
These mammals are bottom feeders. They scoop up insects and larvae, shellfish, and worms in their bill along with bits of gravel and mud from the bottom. All this material is stored in cheek pouches and, at the surface, mashed for consumption. Platypuses do not have teeth, so the bits of gravel help them to "chew" their meal."

Love,
Hannah

I also found a platypus coloring page to include.


~~~

Happy Writing!