Monday, March 11, 2013

Correspondence Connections: St. Patrick's Day & Mother's Day

We did not hear from our Compassion kids this week, so instead of a Mail Call Monday, I thought I'd share with you the two most recent letter writing topics!

For my March online letter, I shared about how we celebrate St. Patrick's Day! My grandfather is Irish and so this was always a fun holiday growing up. I shared with our kids how we wear green and eat a special meal. And then I shared with the kids my shortened version of St. Patrick's testimony (you can read the translated official version here).

And then I shared a verse that inspired St. Patrick's ministry: Matthew 28: 18-20, "And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, 'All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.' Amen" (NKJV).

After writing the letter, I found a picture of the Irish flag, a map of Europe (I cropped out most of Europe, I just wanted them to see where Ireland was, in context) and a coloring page with a rainbow that says "Happy St. Patrick's Day". I thought that this would be a fun letter! You can see what it looks like below.


And then with my current paper mailing (I try to send paper letters every-other month), I included a letter about Mother's Day. I shared about our custom of taking time to thank our moms, and grandmothers and aunts and female guardians (I made it a point to include all female figures in the lives of our kids--some are cared for by grandmothers and aunts). I shared that sometimes we make a special meal for the mom-figures in our lives and sometimes we give cards and small gifts.

I also wrote a short note of gratitude for each mom-figure in our kids' lives in the letter. And I included gifts for the moms (and aunts and grandmas!) along with the stickers for each kid and his or her siblings. For most of my kids I included a recipe card for each female guardian. But for four of our kids' moms, I included a cute notebook! I found these notebooks when I was unpacking from our move in September. They're soft-cover and flexible and slightly less than 1/4 inch thick!


I sent the notebooks to the moms of Franco,



Mary,



Valeria,



and Earl John.



I chose these moms for various reasons. Franco's father just passed away and I wanted to encourage his mom in a special way! Mary's mom writes for her and so I feel like I know Juana, Mary's mom, better than Mary herself! I was given the opportunity to speak with Valeria's mom, Luz, on the phone while my friend Kristen was in Colombia (you can read about that visit here). And Earl John's mom, Juvy, has been writing the sweetest notes in Earl John's letters. Juvy is actually the one who inspired me to write a Mother's Day themed letter--she shared how much she appreciated my Mother's Day note to her last year! She said she was so encouraged by hearing from me.

Finally, I wanted to share a photo of our wall! This is one of our living room walls--I love having our kids in my sightline all day as it reminds me to be praying for them throughout the day. And Juanito loves looking at all the photos...if we ask him where his "Hermanos de Compasion" (Compassion siblings), he points to the photos! And we go over all their names every day. He really enjoys going over each kids name! He can even point to most of the kids by name.


Have you written to your kids recently? And do you have your kids photos hanging in your house?

My "Correspondence Connections" post was inspired by Michelle from Blogging from the Boonies--I highly recommend that you check out her blog! She has lots of great ideas for letter topics and fun things to include in your letters.

16 comments:

  1. The St. Patrick's Day letter sounds great! It's so cool that you can link it to your family's heritage and share it with your kids. And I just love the Mother's Day idea! I usually tell my kids to give their moms a hug for me when I write Mother's Day letters...perhaps this year I'll try to find something special to send to them. How do you usually label or designate the items for your kids' family members?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet your kids' moms would enjoy something special! I write in the letter that I enclosed the gift for the mom...and in the letter I shared that I included stickers for the kid and his or her siblings. I also labeled the items with my kids' numbers and wrote a note "for your mom". For the kids from Spanish-speaking countries, I was able to label the items in Spanish. It's seemed to work in the past with sending things for siblings!! I hope it works this time too!

      Delete
  2. LOVE your picture wall!! We, too, have our Compassion kids' pictures hanging up. They are on the wall of a landing on our staircase - makes a great place to pause and pray for them!

    Love the Mother's Day things - I really need to do that this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so neat that you have the photos hanging on the landing! I love having the kids photos in places where they're seen frequently.

      Delete
  3. I never even thought to write about St Paddys day! Thanks for the idea! Although it'll be odd writing about St Paddys day & not mentioning lots of beer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...I left the beer out! But I figured that it's a neat story to tell!

      Delete
  4. Yeah it's a good letter idea :)
    On the wall thing, that's so cool! I have Lawrence's pictures up on my wall next to my bed, so I see him when I wake up every morning :) he's also my wallpaper on my phone. I see him several times a day which is what I want :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so neat that you have Lawrence's photos on your wall near your bed!! You should add your other kids too! That would be so neat! And that's a great idea to put him as your wallpaper on your phone...I've never thought about that!

      Delete
  5. Yeah its a nice wee collage :) i'll need to do that. The only photos i've got of my other kids are the ones from the packets (& an updated one from Wickly) which I've got in my Compassion folder. i'll need to scan them :) its really good, i use my phone a lot so every time i do i see his smiling face :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you email Compassion or do the "contact us" thing on the US website, you can give Compassion your sponsor number and the numbers of all your kid and they'll email you the photos of your kids. And then you could have the files digitally! I like having extra photos too...I put the ones from the Compassion packets in a binder with the letters and I print photos for my wall. Also, Compassion will email you any older photos of your kids, if they have them on file. Just ask for them!

      Delete
  6. I love your wall!!! That it so beautiful. I bet your kids would love to know about it! :) And of course, what great letter ideas. I bet the moms will love what you sent them. It is such a blessing :)

    You received an award on my blog. Please hop on over to read more- http://lizzieforcompassion.blogspot.com/2013/03/i-am-inspiring.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lizzie! I love our wall too. I have told our kids about it...and how Juanito and I look at their pictures every day!! And thanks for the award :)

      Delete
  7. Do your sponsored children know about your other sponsored children? I'm wondering if you sent that photo wall to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't told my sponsored kids about all my other sponsored kids....I'm torn whenever I think of it! I want them to know that they're each a precious relationship and don't want them to feel just one of a group....if you have ideas, let me know! I'd love to hear what you think! I have told our kids the same country about each other. And I did zoom in and take a picture of each photo individually so that each kid could see that his or her photo is on our wall.

      Delete
    2. I'm torn about it too. I made a lovely montage of all the kids to send them one year at Christmas time, and then lost the stack of cards. I took that as Divine intervention! LOL.

      Delete
    3. I'm sorry you lost them!! I saw your blog and I'm interested in keeping up with it! If you ever do share with your kids, let me know on there :) And I'll let you know if I end up deciding to!

      Delete