Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Apathy

I've recently heard about the situation in Syria...and was ashamed that I hadn't found out earlier. I was convicted of an apathetic attitude...of not caring enough about others to learn what was happening outside of my world. I think a lot of my sadness at my attitude was because we recently watched Hotel Rwanda. After watching Hotel Rwanda, I was saddened by the lack of desire to help Rwanda demonstrated by so many countries. And while I was saddened about other's lack of interest, I was convicted as to my lack of interest in learning more about the plights of others. I think that the first step to helping others is knowing their plight. If I don't know of a need, how can I begin to help?


I had the privilege of traveling to Cuba with my mom when I was 15. We had the privilege of serving at a worship conference and encouraging our brothers and sister there. But one thing that really stuck with me was the apathy demonstrated by so many in poverty...they would sit there...emotionless...not interested in changing their lives. I was struck by thinking that they seemed trapped--unable to break out of their circumstances. This is an expression that I have now seen in many places, both in other countries and here, in the faces of those in poverty. I believe that feeling trapped in poverty leads to apathetic attitudes towards life.


In the car the other day my son and I were listening to Steve Green's song, "God Loves a Cheerful Giver" which is based off of 2 Corinthians 9:6-7, "But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver." This song describes to me the opposite of apathy--joyful giving requires active involvement and care for the plight of the receiver and an active passion for God, the greatest Giver!


My hope is to encourage you to step out, to learn about the needs of others and to joyfully give to help release others from apathy! There are so many ways that we can joyfully and passionately serve God and bless others. If you'd like to help the refugees from Syria, I recommend checking out Samaritan's Purse. If you'd like to help release children from poverty, please consider sponsoring a child from Compassion.

Here are some children who could use the message of hope--to know that they are not trapped in poverty! Will you consider sponsoring one of them today?

~~~

Jaidevi is 12, from India and she suffers from a deaf ear and she's mute.


~~~

Aldin is 10, from Indonesia and suffers from partial hearing loss.


~~~

Karen is 10, from Honduras and suffers a deaf ear.


~~~

Bakara is 10, from Tanzania and is crippled in one hand.


All photos are from Compassion International.

11 comments:

  1. Excellent post! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful! I never thought of joy being the opposite of apathy, but it makes perfect sense.
    Breanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post, praying all the children get sponsored!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post, praying all the children get sponsored!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post. glad to know that Samaritan's purse is helping in Syria. I see your heart for the deaf and love seeing the difference that you made in your own deaf sponsor child!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also was so glad to see that Samaritan's Purse is helping in Syria!! And it's really Sherinah who's given me a passion for the deaf! I never knew their struggles until her. She's been such an encouragement and inspiration to me!

      Delete
  6. Praise God for organisations like Compassion and Samaritan's Purse. Great post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm so thankful for these organizations!! And thanks for reading!

      Delete