We received 19 letters from Oscar, and 1 Project Facilitator letter, while corresponding with Oscar. His birthday is February 19, 1996. Oscar lived with his parents and his dad was employed as a day laborer.
Project Info and Activities:
Ankit attend GU-984 in Aldea El Rosario, Zacapa
* Home to approximately 2,200 residents
* Most commonly spoken language is Spanish
* Most common work is work is day labor
* Average earning is $105 a month
* Regional Diet: maize & beans
* Common Health Problems: parasites, malnutrition, vision problems
* Typical Houses: dirt floors, mud walls, corrugated iron roofs
Center activities: barber lessons, baking lessons, Bible teaching, recreational activities, social events, academic support and nutrias lunches.
Miscellaneous Info from Letters:
* Favorites: soccer/football, bicycling, other ball games, running, listening to music, fishing, dog, song Somos el Pueblo de Dios
* Dreams: to learn English, to play drums, to be a mechanic, to drive cars, to own his own house, to study agronomy
* Financial sponsor sent money for a bike
* Unable to complete high school due to having to work to support his ailing parents
* Worked as a waiter at a tourist place
* Compassion provided him with vocational training in home electricity and mechanics
Letter Highlights...
"I participate in the project since I was 8 years old and I am 16 years old now. I want you to know that I get here by riding my bike. Thanks to my project I have a bike and my house is 10 minutes away. I attend on Tuesdays and Saturdays. I take barber lessons on Tuesdays and I take Bible and baking lessons on Saturdays."
"I want you to know that I want to become an Agronomist when I grow up to obey God's Word. The person to whom I admire is God."
"I want you to know that since I was a little boy, I have gone to the church with my mom. What I like the most from church is the worship time… I'm very happy going to the project, because we learn the Word of God. My favorite Bible verse is Psalm 23:1… What I like most about Jesus is his great love for us."
Artwork:
Oscar typically included a fun drawing with each letter:
And one year Oscar made us a Christmas card!
Oscar graduated Compassion's program, and thanks to Compassion's vocational training, he got a job as a mechanic!
Final Letter:
"Dear Sponsors, Eric and Hannah,
Greetings in the name of God! I hope you are fine. This is to inform you that I won't continue attending to the Child Development Center, since I completed my time in the program. Thank you for the time you helped me when we could share a beautiful friendship. During the time I was at the CDC, I was benefited with Christmas and birthday gifts, special gifts, snacks, medical check-ups, school supplies, clothes, shoes, Bible lessons, camps, excursions, medicine, spiritual retreats, technical workshops of cooking, pastry, beauty and electricity. Everything was a great blessing. Thank you and my best wishes for you. I encourage you to continue blessing other child in need, as you did with me. You leave ma beautiful family. I send you a big hug.
Oscar"
To read the other posts in this series, click here.

