Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Sanjay in India

We corresponded with Sanjay from February 2015 until April 2016.


We received 6 letters from Sanjay and one Partner Letter. His birthday is November 2. Sanjay lives with his parents and two siblings. His father is employed as a daily laborer.

~~~

Project Info and Activities:

Sanjay attends EI-119 in Hastings, Calcutta
* Home to approximately 44,000 residents
* Most commonly spoken languages are Hindi and Bengali
* Most common work is work is day labor, although the majority is unemployed
* Average earning is $27 a month
* Regional Diet: fish, rice, potatoes, chicken & beans
* Common Health Problems: colds, coughs, viral fevers, malaria, waterborne diseases
* Typical Houses: dirt floors, brick walls, tile roofs

Center activities: World Health Day, medical check-ups, Vacation Bible School, Bible teaching, health screening, hygiene supplies, sports, vitamins, cultural programs, special celebrations and tutoring.

~~~

Miscellaneous Info from Letters:

* Favorites: bicycling, group games, marbles, hide-and-seek, jump rope, ping pong, running, Bengali, football/soccer, Bible story of Ruth and Naomi, the song This Is the Day, dogs, elephants, the color blue, roses and tulips, chicken-rice with mango, the subjects of Bengali and history, and playing soccer.

* Dreams: become a policeman, get a good job

~~~

Letter Highlights...
"I saw your family picture and my class friends was seen the picture and was very happy."

"My super hero is my father… For my birthday my mother prayed for me and cooked me a special meal.""

"Thank you for reminding me of God's love once again, through the Bible verse you sent me. The more I read your letter the more I am enjoying myself, since I am learning so much from you."

"I want to give you thanks for sending me such a lovely letter. Whatever Bible verses you had sent to me I learnt many things from those verses. I want to give you thanks for your kind love for me."


~~~

To read the other posts in this series, click here.