Saturday, November 14, 2015

Sidewalk Games: Sardines

This month's sidewalk game is called Sardines and while I grew up playing this, an am not sure of the origin, I found the instructions here and they credit the Germans! I thought it would be fun to share about Germany with our kids! The photo, flag and map were found via Google.


If you would like to learn how to play or would like to share this letter with your sponsored child, here is what I shared:

Dear Name,

I would like to share a game from Germany with you! Germany is located in the continent of Europe. Did you know that Eric lived in Germany for a few years when he was a kid?

Germany was the birthplace of some pretty neat people! The inventor Albert Einstein, the composer Johann Sebastian Bach, and Martin Luther, the guy who led the Reformation all came from Germany! Have you learned about any of these people?

Germany's forests, the Black Forest and the Bavarian Forest, are home to wild pig, fox, and deer. There are some really neat castles in Germany! One is called Schloss Neuschwanstein. Eric visited this castle when he lived in Germany. The castle was built by Ludwig II, King of Bavaria in 1864. In addition to including a map of Germany and a picture of their flag, I also included a photo of the castle Schloss Neuschwanstein.

The game I would like to share with you is called Sardines. Sardines are little fish that are eaten in the USA. A bunch of sardines are packed into a can and that's how they are sold. This game involves people squishing together, like sardines in a can, so that is how it got its name! I played Sardines a lot with my friends and family when I was a kid!

To play, you need: 4 or more players.
1. One player is chosen as "It".
2. The "It" hides while the others count to 20.
3. The others then search for the "It". When one person finds the "It", he/she hides with the "It" also.
4. The game is over when all the players find the "It". The last person to find the "It" (and the group of players) becomes the new "It".

In closing, I would like to encourage you by sharing Psalm 25:8-9, "Good and upright is the Lord; therefore He teaches sinners in the way. The humble He guides in justice, and the humble He teaches His way."

We send you our love!

Hannah

Feel free to copy this game to share with your sponsored kids!