Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Itzel in Mexico

We corresponded with Itzel for a few months in 2015.


We received 1 letter and 1 pastor's letter while corresponding with Itzel. Her birthday is August 2. Itzel lives with her mother and 5 siblings (she has 7 siblings total!). She sent these lovely photos of her family!


~~~

Project Info and Activities:

Itzel attends ME-832 near Oaxaca
* Home to approximately 7,000 residents
* The primary ethnic group is Zapoteco
* Most commonly spoken language is Spanish
* Most common work is work is day laboring
* Average earning is $174 a month
* Regional Diet: maize, beans & chicken
* Common Health Problems: malnutrition, lack of personal hygiene
* Typical Houses: dirt floors, adobe walls, corrugated iron roofs

Center activities: Bible teaching, medical checkups, dental care, personal hygiene education, field trips, sports, tutoring, crafts and recreational activities, and meetings and nutrition education for the parents or guardians.

~~~

Miscellaneous Info from Letters:

* Favorites: soccer/football, hide-and-seek, cars, science, basketball, Philippians 4:13, Psalm 23, Romans 5:8, stories of Joshua, Daniel & Ruth, eagles, horses, wolves, lions, fish, color red, entomatades & pasta de frijol (food), Barcelona, discovering new places

* Dreams: to study beauty/styling or medicine

~~~

Letter Highlights...
"People call me Chely, I like that. All my friends and family call me like that. I am friendly…I like to go to church and praise God. I want you to continue telling me more about and Eric and your two children who are very cute."

"I like to serve people, I serve at church in the praising group. I like a lot to sing, it's something I do."


~~~

Artwork

Itzel sent this with her one letter!


~~~

Itzel is still a Compassion child, but her sponsor decided to begin writing, so we had to say goodbye. Although it is always hard to say goodbye, it is encouraging when a sponsor wants to connect with his or her child!

~~~

To read the other posts in this series, click here.