We received 16 letters while corresponding with Maria, one project director's letter and one pastor's letter. Her birthday is December 14. Maria lives with her mom, who is a cleaner. She has four siblings, two sisters, Karina (who's married with two sons) and Jimena, and two brothers, Marcelo and Limber. One of her brothers joined the army in 2016.
Project Info and Activities:
Maria attends BO-430 in Collpani Neighborhood, La Paz
* Home to approximately 10,500 residents
* Primary ethnic group is Aymara
* Most commonly spoken language is Aymara
* Most common work is work is street vending
* Average earning is $100 a month
* Regional Diet: bananas, fish, bread, beef, plantains, rice & goat
* Common Health Problems: diarrhea, respiratory infections, anemia
* Typical Houses: dirt floors, adobe walls, corrugated iron roofs
Center activities: Bible teaching, health education, recreational activities, homework help, academic support, and worship services and Bible teaching for the parents and guardians.
Miscellaneous Info from Letters:
* Favorites: soccer/football, listening to music, running, sports, going out with friends, Samson, Philippians 4:13, Sonido del Silencio, tigers & bears & lions, black & purple & pink, physical education, Bolivar & Argentine soccer teams, basketball, carnations, fricase & chicharron, Messi & Rhonaldino, mango, tangerine
* Dreams: to be a police officer or physical education teacher, to study gastronomy, to enroll at INFOCAL
Letter Highlights...
"I am participating in soccer. I like sports and listening to music and going out with friends. I am very friendly with everybody."
"I say goodbye, that God our Lord Jesus Christ always guide your way and your family, with love. I ask you to pray for all the children in the streets and for my family."
"Thank you so much for the pictures of the World Cup and Juanito's letter, it was so nice. And I see that your daughter is so beautiful, when she grows up she will be a beautiful queen. My favorite team is Argentina and my favorite players are Messi and Ronaldino."
"And I never knew that the mother kangaroo had a bag to carry her babies before, it is very surprising to me."
"I had a very good time on my birthday because my friends, my cousins, my uncles and my parents were there because it was also my older sister's birthday. I had a very super time together with her, and I loved that all my family was next to me."
"It's so beautiful to see my picture on the Christmas tree and that you had customs of everything on."
"I am glad you will have a beautiful baby, it's a blessing that God gave you. I suppose that Juanito must be very happy and excited about the birth, just as I am happy and excited to know the baby through pictures."
"I feel so happy to receive your letters; I keep each word in my heart and I treasure them because they are so nice."
"I am so happy because the members of the church are nice and understand my situation."
Artwork
Gifts
Although we have not had a chance to meet any sponsored kids in person (yet!), we have had friends deliver gifts and meet some of our kids! In August 2014, one friend, Helen, brought gifts to Bolivia when she went to visit her sponsored kids and she brought a gift for Maria. We received this lovely photo in return with a thank you letter!
To read the other posts in this series, click here.



