Thursday, May 12, 2016

Emily in Kenya

We have been Emily's correspondents from January 2015 to October 2016.


We received 7 letters while corresponding with Emily. Her birthday is September 6. Emily lives with her mother, Grace, and her siblings Edwin and Elly. Her mother is a seller in the market.

~~~

Project Info and Activities:

Emily attends KE-703 in Kirimara, Nairobi
* Home to approximately 12,000 residents
* Primary ethnic group is Meru
* Most commonly spoken language is Meru
* Most common work is work is laboring, but the majority are unemployed
* Average earning is $32 a month
* Regional Diet: maize, beans & potatoes
* Common Health Problems: malaria, typhoid, dental cavities
* Typical Houses: dirt floors, wood walls, tin roofs

Center activities: Bible teaching, tutoring, immunizations, uniforms, school supplies, recreational activities, books, and health education for the parents and guardians.

~~~

Miscellaneous Info from Letters:

* Favorites: group games, soccer/football, hide-and-seek, jump rope, other ball games, volley ball, “When Jesus Says Yes,” chocolate, rice & meat, English (subject), Creation & Birth of Jesus stories, blue, watching movies, dancing, hiking & discussing God’s word with friends, Kiswahili, Chelsea, Akon, dogs, bears, penguins, bougainvillea flower

* Dreams: to become a journalist

~~~

Letter Highlights...
"My dream is becoming a journalist because I perform very well in language. My passion in it is that I like adventures a lot."

"Thank you for your continued support, you have really changed my life. Just know there is someone somewhere who is very much interested in you. I really love you so much."

"at school, am much more than happy to let you know, through your good tips of passing on maths that you send me in a certain letter, I really improved. Thank you for caring about my life."

"I hope that you too one day will visit Kenya and see how God has done marvelous things like creating crying stones, waterfalls, Mt. Kenya and many wild animals."

"I love you all and remind Juanito on my behalf that one day I assure him through God's intervention he will fulfill his dream of being a superhero!"

"Thank you so much for wishing me a happy birthday. Guess what? You were the first person to wish me a fantastic birthday. The day was smart for we went hiking with my friends."


~~~

To read the other posts in this series, click here.