Friday, May 13, 2016

Project Director's Letter: Ethiopia (ET-209)

Thanks to the Compassion App, I have discovered some additional project director and pastor letters! I'll be sharing them over the weeks! Enjoy!

~~~

This letter is from Seyefu's project! And the photos are from Compassion's Ethiopia Flickr Album.

Dear Sponsor,

My name is Hanna T. I am the Project Director of the Child Development center at the [ET-209] Church in the Kolfe Keranyo area, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. We serve your sponsored child.

We bless and honor you for the support you extend to your child. I know that our heavenly Father will bless you more and reward you with His glorious award for your great works.

All the children in our center get benefits from the holistic ministry we offer. Some children have now completely been restored from health, education, social, and spiritual issues.


For example, one 7-year-old had respiration difficulties and tonsillitis. He could not run and play easily or learn properly. Last year the doctor warned us that unless he gets higher medical treatment, the medicines he used to take might affect his heart in the long run. The doctor referred him to a higher institution where he underwent surgery, and now his health is completely restored and all auxiliary problems are gone. He is now an outstanding student who easily interacts with his peers and respects his elders.

Another child needed supplementary food benefits for a long time due to the deep impoverished living of her family, but now she is 21 years old and the center has given her the opportunity to continue her college education. She’s studying there now.


Last year parents were given training on self-supportive works, and almost 40 prepared and submitted business plans and opened saving accounts. Based on their plans, we have sent proposals for Complementary Intervention funds so they can engage in self-supporting activities to generate income. Also, two children received gifts from their sponsors and bought sheep for breeding to generate an income for their families. This has brought a great change in their families’ living.

The letters children get from their sponsors give them great joy. Their pleasure is expressed visibly on their faces, and they ask so many questions. They partake in the sponsors’ joy or sorrow. When children receive letters from their sponsors, they feel they have someone who thinks, cares, and prays about them and their family, and they are eager to receive them. They want to write back as fast as possible. Contrary to this, children who don’t receive any letters come to us to ask why. Since these children give great honor and value to the sponsors’ letters, I encourage you to write as often as possible and take joy in it.


In our center we have a special coffee time to reach out the parents. In this program, parents in groups of 10 to 15 prepare and share coffee together and discuss family, social, and child issues and get teachings on these topics. The gospel is also preached during these meetings.

Last year we prayed for sick children and their parents, and they are healthy now. We prayed for the children’s education, and over 90% of them were promoted in school. Many of our children didn’t have sponsors yet, and we prayed fervently on this issue. Currently, less than 10 children remain without sponsors, and we believe they will soon get them. We thank God for all these.

The community around the center has deep living problems, and the center’s capacity is limited. Please pray that we will be enabled to reach more children.

I want to again heartily thank you for the kindness and compassion you have shown to your child. The works you do have great value for the children, their families, the society, and the country. All those who serve here with me greet you fondly.

May the Lord bless your ministry,
Hanna T.


~~~

If you would like to sponsor a child from Ethiopia, please consider Yared, who will be 8 on July 16 and who has been waiting over 420 days (over a year!) for a sponsor.


In his home, Yared helps by running errands. He lives with his father. His father is sometimes employed. There are 5 children in the family.

Soccer and hide-and-seek are Yared's favorite activities. In kindergarten his performance is average and he also regularly attends church activities. To sponsor Yared, click here.

2 comments:

  1. The special coffee time us great! I know that coffee ceremonies are very important in Ethiopia. I think it's a great way to use culture to encourage parents to come to meetings.

    I am trying to imagine the heartbreak of the staff members as kids ask them why they aren't receiving letters. How to explain that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that coffee is a great way to reach the parents. I would love to go to an Ethiopian coffee ceremony one day...wouldn't that be amazing? And I feel so sad for the kids. I'm hoping Compassion gets their Encourager Program up and running soon so these kids will at least get occasional letters!

      Delete