Saturday, April 14, 2018

Outgoing Mail: April


Life has been increasingly busy between my older two kids needing more attention for our "school" and the younger two getting into more, my husband is in graduate school (as well as working full-time), my translating has increased for Manna 4 Lempira (which is wonderful!) and I have started volunteering for a local ministry. All this to say, I've decided to write one form letter to our Compassion kids per month, in addition to responding personally every-other month. And I might be blogging less, but I still hope to share letters as I send them.

~~~

This month I shared about owls! My friend Helen sent me some beautiful barred owl photos, and gave me permission to share them with our kids. The basic owl information came from Science Kids, the barred owl info is from BioKIDS, and then the USA owl guide photos are from Owling.


Hi Friend!

How are you and your family? We are doing well here, Eric is almost finished with his first semester of his master's program. He still has two years to complete the program, but we are thankful that his first semester ended well!

My friend Helen loves to take photos of birds, and she sent me these amazing photos of a Barred Owl. I wanted to share them with you and also share a little about owls! There are over 20 types of owl in the USA! I included a photo guide for you to see the various kinds. Do you have owls in your country? Here are some basic facts about owls:
"1. There are around 200 different owl species.
2. Owls are active at night (nocturnal).
3. A group of owls is called a parliament.
4. Most owls hunt insects, small mammals and other birds, some owl species hunt fish.
5. Owls have powerful talons (claws) which help them catch and kill prey.
6. Owls have large eyes and a flat face.
7. Owls can turn their heads as much as 270 degrees.
8. Owls are farsighted, meaning they can’t see things close to their eyes clearly.
9. Owls are very quiet in flight compared to other birds of prey.
10. The color of owl’s feathers helps them blend into their environment (camouflage)."

Barred owls are one type of owl that live in the USA, my country. BioKIDS says, "Barred owls are large, round-headed, woodland owls with grey-white faces. The plumage is grey-brown with buff-white edges and brown bars on the wings. Barred owls have brown eyes and lack ear tufts. Barred owls are arboreal, living in coniferous forests near water sources, and wooded swamps. Including pine, spruce, fir, and cedar forests. They require dense foliage for daytime roosting, and large trees with cavities for nesting. Barred owls are mainly nocturnal hunters, although they may be active during the day. Barred owls live alone for most of the year, only living in family groups from the breeding season until the young leave the nest. Barred owls are very vocal species with an easily recognizable 9 syllable call; "Who cooks for you? Who cooks for you-all?", called a two-phrase hoot."

In closing I'd like to share Isaiah 43:20, a beautiful verse that reminds us of God's care and how even the wild animals, like owls, honor God! "The wild animals honor Me, the jackals and the owls, because I provide water in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland, to give drink to My people, My chosen," Isaiah 43:20.

Love, Hannah



~~~

Happy Writing!