Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Nancy in Ecuador

We corresponded with Nancy from the spring of 2014 until April 2016, when she graduated Compassion's program.


We received 9 letters while corresponding with Nancy and 1 pastor's letter. Her birthday is March 24. Nancy lives with her parents, who are farmers, and 2 sisters, Rocio and Lillian, and a brother Luis. Her brother and dad are both studying at school, and her brother is studying medicine at the university.

~~~

Project Info and Activities:

Nancy attends EC-453 in Guantul Central Grande, Riobamba
* Home to approximately 1,500 residents
* Most commonly spoken languages are Quechua & Spanish
* Most common work is work is farming
* Average earning is $100 a month
* Regional Diet: bread, rice & potatoes
* Common Health Problems: parasites, malnutrition, diarrhea, breathing disorders
* Typical Houses: dirt floors, adobe walls, corrugated iron roofs

Center activities: Bible teaching, medical checkups, nutritious meals, hygiene classes, recreational activities, tutoring, vocational training, and schooling and health education for parents and guardians.

~~~

Miscellaneous Info from Letters:

* Favorites: group games, reading, singing, listening to music, Jesus Adrian Romero, natural sciences, anatomy, Samson & Dalila, John 14:15, Doy Gracias (Marcos Witt), dogs, cats, white, papas con cut (potatoes with guinea pig), rose, soccer (Ecuador & Peru)

* Dreams: graduate nursing school

* Passed first two semesters of nursing school


~~~

Letter Highlights...
"On August, I am doing an internship at a hospital so I can learn how to help sick people."

"I like to help people and sick people and also my family."


~~~

Artwork

Nancy likes to include artwork for the kids!


~~~

Gifts

We have been able to send a few gifts to Nancy! Eric was so excited when we heard that Nancy was in nursing school (Eric is an ICU nurse) and we were able to send her a stethoscope!

~~~

Final Letter

Nancy graduated from Compassion's program in April 2016. She was currently in her third semester of nursing school and doing well in her studies!

Dear sponsors, receive a cordial greeting in the name of our savior Jesus Christ. I want to thank you for the letters and pictures, it is a blessing to have you. I spent Christmas with my whole family, we had a program at compassion where we got a quilt and a bag of candies. I have learned a lot this month because I had internships in a health district where we also got vaccines. I thank God for wisdom. How are you doing? I ask you to pray for my studies and for my health, I am praying for you, until your next letter, Nancy



~~~

Nancy found me in October 2016, and it was such a joy to reconnect! We learned that she had recently graduated from nursing school! She also told me that she was about to begin a job at a health clinic, and she was volunteering at her Compassion project!


~~~

To read the other posts in this series, click here.