Sunday, February 26, 2017

Why I Love Compassion...

The biggest answer to why I sponsor with Compassion International is that their method works!!


I have other whys...their central focus on Christ, the way they empower local churches to reach their communities, their financial accountability. And there is a fancy article on why this method of sponsorship works: Executive Summary of the Wydick Research Document.

~~~

But for me, this is a huge part of my why:


I watched my dear friend Sherinah (who also goes by Shamim) change from a little girl to a beautiful young woman. I watched her struggle with losing her hearing and learning that disability is not inability. She uses her voice to advocate and help disabled children in her own city! Sherinah has graduated from college and now she is a mother! I am the proud aunt of little Shadrach!


And here is the big thing--Shadrach will grow up knowing about Jesus Christ and grow up with a mother who can care for him, who is educated and who has hope and Christ, because of Compassion's investment in her life. Compassion doesn't just change the life for one child...it changes the lives of all those around that child too.

Because of Sherinah, Shadrach has a positive future! Because of Sherinah, disabled children in her country are being advocated for. Because of Sherinah, kids are being sponsored as people hear her story.

~~~

Sherinah isn't my only why...here are some more kids who I know personally, who like Sherinah, are changing their worlds thanks to their time with Compassion. Nancy, who graduated nursing school:


Oscar, who had to drop out of high school to support his parents, and who received vocational training to be a mechanic and an electrician:


Maria, who graduated with her degree in teaching:


~~~

And for the little ones...we don't know what their lives will entail, what they will do to change their worlds in Jesus' name! But I know that they will have a huge impact. This leads me to my other huge answer for why I love Compassion International: they know the kids personally and help personally when things get hard.


This was evidenced when Sherinah lost her hearing! They helped her attend a boarding school for the deaf! Time and again I have been reassured that Compassion isn't just a big ministry where kids get lost in the shuffle. They work with local churches who know the kids personally. Compassion has taken time to check into the following situations for us and personally offer support:


  • When one young man lost his father and the main supporter to his family of 11, Compassion helped his mother receive vocational training!

  • When one girl's father moved out, the church wrapped their arms around her and her mother in such a way that their testimony brought the father back home. He's now supporting the family.

  • When one boy's father murdered his mother, Compassion helped him and his siblings receive counseling, additional tutoring and helped them adjust to life in their grandparents' home.

  • When one young woman dropped out of Compassion's program to move in with her boyfriend, the church was still there! She found me years later and said that because of the seeds planted because of Compassion, she returned to the church and completed her college degree!

  • When one boy's mother was arrested, the project helped him move into his uncle's home and helped supplement his uncle's food because of the uncle having 3 extra mouths to feed.

  • The same happened when one girl's mother left and her father died, and she and her siblings had to move to her uncle's home. Compassion helped supplement their food to get the uncle onto his feet with so many extra mouths!

  • One young boy broke his arm and had to have surgery, we learned after the surgery was already completed that Compassion helped cover the cost!

  • Another young man was struggling with desires to join a gang or to give his life to Christ. His brother is already in prison for gang activity. Due to love shown to him at his church, he chose to give his life to Christ and now brings his mother to church!


  • ~~~

    These are just a handful of personal examples that reinforce why we sponsor with Compassion. But you don't just have to take my personal stories...I encourage you to take some time to read these three stories that I recently found very impactful and motivational:


  • Trapped in a Voodoo Temple
  • Stopping the Sex Trade in Thailand--with soccer
  • Bringing Hope to the Abused


  • So why do I sponsor with Compassion International? Because it works! Thousands upon thousands of kids are having their lives changed by the love of Christ in their local churches, and by the words of encouragement of their sponsors, and are now impacting the lives of those around them! These individuals are now changing their worlds in the name of Jesus. What better result could we ask for?

    ~~~

    If you would like to invest in a child, I encourage you to do so today! Leticia from Brazil needs a sponsor, she attends a project very close to BR417, and with many of the same issues of prostitution, drugs and gangs.


    Leticia just turned 8 on February 23! She lives with a foster parent, is not employed, and one sibling. Leticia enjoys art and drawing. To sponsor Leticia, click here.

    Photo credit goes to Compassion Instagram.